Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
So today I was given an old Compaq laptop. It's a Presario CM2050 1456VQL1N. It's actually a little trooper. Runs 98 at a moderately good speed. But i'd like to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Linux on a ridiculously old compaq?

So today I was given an old Compaq laptop. It's a Presario CM2050 1456VQL1N.

It's actually a little trooper. Runs 98 at a moderately good speed. But i'd like to get some version of Linux up and running on it. At a whopping 64mb of ram, I'm thinking Slackware may be the way to go, but I'm not entirely sure. So I thought I would hand this over to the experts.

Any recommendations? Do you think there's more issues than it's worth?
    She sells C Shells by the sea shore.

Don't expect to run Firefox or OpenOffice on this. If you can increase the RAM, things will be much better.
    Try Puppy Linux or DSL information as well.

Linux Newbie
    I booted from a LiveCD of Damn Small Linux, and everything is working without any problems. I want to install it, but I'm unsure if I should do a frugal install, or the full.

I'd like it to be as full as possible, as I want to run Celtx on it

Any advice?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I would do a full install. DSL is based on debian, and you can turn it into a full debian system, I believe. May I suggest also trying Antix? Main Page - antiX It's based on simplyMepis which is based on Debian, and comes with a more recent kernel and software.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
    I would do a full install. DSL is based on debian, and you can turn it into a full debian system, I believe. May I suggest also trying Antix? Main Page - antiX It's based on simplyMepis which is based on Debian, and comes with a more recent kernel and software.
    I was looking into Antix, but apparently the processor isn't new enough to handle. It's only got an AMD K6.

So I'll try my luck at installing DSL.

My main concerns right now are:
    -weather or not it can run Celtx, not too worried about the speed, just dependencies.

-And finding a PCMIA Ethernet card to connect to the internet. The compaq only has the dial-up connection

I looked on the celtx site, but couldn't find anything listing dependecies or an install how to. Good luck!

Just Joined!
    By all means... full install of DSL. I have it on an even more rediculously old ast laptop... 100mhz/20m ram!! Now were talkin' slow.. but better than anything [maybe excepting win95, for speed] that can actually browse wirelessly!!! RP
    BTW Use a swap partition, heck I find that on old stuff 128M of a swap partition is decent!

Linux Newbie
    I ordered some memory, so it'll be at the max 200mb. I also picked up
    a network card that I read should work out the box with DSL (xircon pcm200). The nice thing about this little project is all the parts are dirt cheap.

I'll attempt the full install today. I'm sure I'll be posting in a panic a couple times. But I really have faith in this little guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dann View Post
    I'll attempt the full install today. I'm sure I'll be posting in a panic a couple times. But I really have faith in this little guy.

There ain't nothin' like a good "Panic Post". I'll be looking forward to them
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast