Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, This is my first post so I hope I am in the right place. I have just bought a MSI U100x running Suse 10. This is my first ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Bluetooth adaptor not recognized, WIFI does not detect networks

Hi all,
    This is my first post so I hope I am in the right place.

I have just bought a MSI U100x running Suse 10. This is my first computer with Linux so I am not that familiar with the deeper stuff. When I try to switch on the bluetooth I get the message 'could not find bluetooth devices on the system. Please make sure your bluetooth adapter is correctly plugged into your machine'.

Also when I try to connect to my home WIFI network the network manager can't detect it, the wireless modem/router is speedtouch 585 the other computers and devices are windows based.

If this is in the wrong place can a moderator move it to the right forum please

Please help somebody

Regards David

tpl
    Linux User
    welcome to the forum

> wifi can't connect

try these things:

1. "lspci" to see whether the network adapter is
    on the bus

2. "lsmod | grep <module.name>" to see whether the
    correct driver is loaded

3. "ifconfig <interface> up" to see whether the
    network recognizes the device

please post the results so we can help further
    the sun is new every day (heraclitus)

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by tpl View Post
    welcome to the forum

> wifi can't connect

try these things:

1. "lspci" to see whether the network adapter is
    on the bus

2. "lsmod | grep <module.name>" to see whether the
    correct driver is loaded

3. "ifconfig <interface> up" to see whether the
    network recognizes the device

please post the results so we can help further
    Hi, Sorry, turns out my fault. No manual came with the netbook so it was all guesswork. I was switching on the software but not the hardware. Now the wireless networking is great.

The bluetooth will pick up other devices, send to them but not allow incoming connections and file transfers??

I can not get the webcam to switch on, I can see the Alt F6 for it but nothing happens and can not see it listed in the hardware, but I can't see the bluetooth adapter either but that is there.

I have some questions about , mounting, services, servers these are from things I have tried to do but the system won't let me because various things aren't there or switched on, where is the best place to ask this type of question?

Last when I try to run the MSN messenger, it starts up in a shell, this needs to be configured it asks what my OS type is I don't have a clue it does not give the names of the different Linux versions it is more basic than that., what is Suse based on?

Thanks for any help.

David