Find the answer to your Linux question:
I know it's inevitable that programs aren't going to fit in a screen much smaller than average, and that's what you have in mind when you buy it, but I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Red face Programs on Eee PC don't fit in Screen

I know it's inevitable that programs aren't going to fit in a screen much smaller than average, and that's what you have in mind when you buy it, but I have a heap of programs that don't fit to screen and are virtually useless. So, to put my mind at ease, could anyone tell me if there is any way to solve this, maybe to zoom out or something? I have programs that fit fine, but some don't. Can I change it? Or is it a program set to that size?

Thanks heaps,
    Inkstand

What distribution are you using on it? Is it a distribution that is built for notebooks?

If you hold alt and drag the program with your mouse (left click) you can move the window all around the screen to access anything that is hidden
    Linux User #453176

Just Joined!
    Unfortunately it's the window itself that's too small and I can't resize the program inside it. I just downloaded it through Synaptic. I'm not sure what distribution it is...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Since you are using Synaptic I guess it is probably a Debian type distribution such as Ubuntu. What is the program you are trying to use? Is it just this program that is causing the problem?
    Linux User #453176

Just Joined!
    It's an online game called The Mana World. I have another program called Scratch that I downloaded and installed manually which has the same problem, that only a corner of the program can be seen in the window. It's no biggy, just thought there might have been a way to ajust the position of program inside the window. FYI you can't scroll.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkstand View Post
    I'm not sure what distribution it is...
    That information would be very helpful. You really should be aware of the distribution that's installed on your machine. Since you seem to be using a Debian-based distro., I'd suggest installing something built specifically for the eee PC, such as EasyPeasy.

Just Joined!
    I installed Easy Peasy prior to encountering this issue.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkstand View Post
    I installed Easy Peasy prior to encountering this issue.
    Hmm, well which programs don't fit well? Did you install them as packages, or did you download tar files or compile them yourself?

Just Joined!
    I got them from Synaptic. Upon further investigation I think others are having the same issue as me, and the size of the Eee PC is just too small to handle bigger programs. I've fixed most of my programs by simple dragging them out and moving the entire window to access the full program, but some don't let you do even that. It's not bothering me as much now, but thanks heaps for your help.