Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Im thinkin maybe the partition got entirely deleted or something. No cd drive so can't isntall off that might search out an old thumb drive and try installing of that. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Im thinkin maybe the partition got entirely deleted or something. No cd drive so can't isntall off that might search out an old thumb drive and try installing of that. (But being able to recover this would be better). Thanks so far devil, any other idea's?
    Create USB disk of PartedMagic, SLAX or any other distro and boot up from it. Post the output of fdisk -l command. It will very easy to fix problem with that.

You will like SLAX USB than any other distro. I am using it for a long time and it has a lot of useful applications.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Sounds good, but would it be best to get a live version ? Or should i preferrably get a version i could install? Cause if i cant fix the problem i'll probably just install from a usb. How is Slax? is it capable of install etc...preferablly easy to use, as far as setup install ? Just taking into account i don't wanna have to use TWO usb's one for slax and it not work and another for ubuntu or something similiar to instlal... and probably won't be able to hit u back with that output till tommorow.

Slax is for USB install only and its Hard disk install is not recommended. You can install Ubuntu in USB too but its a bit heavy distro and you might face a few problems during USB install.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Thanks. I got the file, but can't get my pc to read my Cruzer Sync USB Flash drive. Also know a good step by step for installing it? I dl'ed the tar file and ran the make iso script. Now im just trying to format the USB drive. Any suggestions on how to configure it for SLAX? Or a good article?

Just Joined!
    Going for it again, wish me luck, deleted the sync program on my cruzer usb drive, thinin maybe now i can get it to format.

Linux Guru
    Does that Everex have a slot for a SD memory card? You can fornat a SDHC card to use just like a USB drive. I run a full installation of Fedora 10 on an 8GB SDHC card, on my Eee PC 900. It has to be able to boot from the SD card, the BIOS would have to list it as a boot choice.

Here is a little How-To on making a SD card with a bootable distro on it. It should work with any LiveCD. A 1GB card is needed for some distros, like Linux Mint. You also may not need to format it first, it depends on what filesytem is on it.

================================================== ============

Run commands as root

Find the disk:
    # fdisk -l

Format the disk (sdb1):
    # fdisk /dev/sdb1

Command (m for help):d (delete any existing partitions)

Command (m for help):n (create a new partition)
    Command action
    e extended
    p primary partition (1-4)
    p

Partition number (1-4):1

Command (m for help):t
    Hex code (type L to list codes):6 (for fat16)

Command (m for help):w (to write the changes to the disk)

Format the card. You may need to unmount it first:
    # umount /dev/sdb1
    # mkfs.vfat -F 16 /dev/sdb1

Mount it again. You need syslinux and Mtools installed, Then run syslinux on the card:
    # syslinux /dev/sdb1

Copy the CD files to it. Then rename the folder isolinux to syslinux. Then rename isolinux.cfg to syslinux.cfg

You can mount an .iso of a LiveCD, so that you can copy the files off of it. You need to do it with root privileges, so use su or sudo.

First make a folder to mount it in, I will create a /mounted folder.
    Code:
    mkdir /mounted
    Then mount the LiveCD image. You will need to use the correct path to that file, I will use /home/JK3mp/download as the location. Also, replace <image file> with the actual file name.
    Code:
     mount -o loop /home/JK3mp/download/<image file> /mounted
    You now should be able to copy all of the files to a SD or USB drive. Don't forget to run the syslinux command on it.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
    Does that Everex have a slot for a SD memory card? You can fornat a SDHC card to use just like a USB drive. I run a full installation of Fedora 10 on an 8GB SDHC card, on my Eee PC 900. It has to be able to boot from the SD card, the BIOS would have to list it as a boot choice.

Here is a little How-To on making a SD card with a bootable distro on it. It should work with any LiveCD. A 1GB card is needed for some distros, like Linux Mint. You also may not need to format it first, it depends on what filesytem is on it.

Run commands as root

Find the disk:
    # fdisk -l

Format the disk (sdb1):
    # fdisk /dev/sdb1

Command (m for help):d (delete any existing partitions)

Command (m for help):n (create a new partition)
    Command action
    e extended
    p primary partition (1-4)
    p

Command (m for help):t
    Hex code (type L to list codes):6 (for fat16)

Command (m for help):w (to write the changes to the disk)

Format the card. You may need to unmount it first:
    # umount /dev/sdb1
    # mkfs.vfat -F 16 /dev/sdb1

Mount it again. You need syslinux and Mtools installed, Then run syslinux on the card:
    # syslinux /dev/sdb1

Copy the CD files to it. Then rename the folder isolinux to syslinux. Then rename isolinux.cfg to syslinux.cfg

You can mount an .iso of a LiveCD, so that you can copy the files off of it. You need to do it with root privileges, so use su or sudo.

First make a folder to mount it in, I will create a /mounted folder.
    Code:
    mkdir /mounted
    Then mount the LiveCD image. You will need to use the correct path to that file, I will use /home/JK3mp/download as the location. Also, replace <image file> with the actual file name.
    Code:
     mount -o loop /home/JK3mp/download/<image file> /mounted
    You now should be able to copy all of the files to a SD or USB drive. Don't forget to run the syslinux command on it.

Thanks Waterhead...it does have an SD slot, and in BIOS it only shows two options. In my college class right now but when i get home i'll list what the other boot option is, didn't make sense to me but may verywell be the name or label for the sdslot. Would a 2GB SD card be sufficient enough ?

Linux Guru
    You may have to have a card in the slot before it will show up as a boot option.

A 1GB card is enough for a LiveCD distro. I used an 8GB one to install Fedora to, but then I needed to use a USB DVD drive for the installation DVD.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    Well i got a 2gig USB stick loaded with Knoppix, and even tried ubuntu. Comes up as boot option, changed it to primary..but neither have worked. Comes up to just a blinking cursor. = (

Just Joined!
    I just tried it on my Sony Vaio laptop and it worked just fine though... .

-EDIT: Upon a little further research...i've heard that Everex Cloudbook is supposed to actually automatically detect USB drive and set it as first priority boot, so now im thinking...wth is up with this one then.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast