Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi! I have Dell Inspiron 1420 with Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family. I am facing display problem on Redhat 5 Server. Please, Help me how to configure xorg.conf manually. Recently, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Display Problem on Dell Inspiron 1420

Hi!

I have Dell Inspiron 1420 with Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family. I am facing display problem on Redhat 5 Server. Please, Help me how to configure xorg.conf manually.
    Recently, i have upgraded Kernel kernel-2.6.18-138.el5.i686.

Thank You
    Anu.

Do you intend to use this machine as a server? If so, why do you need xorg at all? If not, then you shouldn't be using the server version, as it is going to cause you a lot of extra work (for example, the reason you are here in the first place)

Anyway, if I remember correctly, the command is (in terminal mode)
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
    When I find myself burried in errors, Windows Help appears to me; speaking words of wisdom, Reboot!

Just Joined!
    Themer, that command would work on Debian. I don't believe RedHat installs apt by default (it uses rpm).

As for configuring X, I don't remember if RedHat has any sort of a script or means built into rpm to do that like Debian has with apt, but you should be able to have X detect a lot of your hardware for you by doing something like this:

[code]
    X -configure
    [code]

That should place a new xorg.conf in the current directory, I think naming it something like xorg.conf.new. Then you can just test it by starting X with X -config /path/to/xorg.conf.new.

If it works you can copy it to /etc/X11/xorg.conf, or wherever RedHat keeps it.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by linuxpyro View Post
    Themer, that command would work on Debian. I don't believe RedHat installs apt by default (it uses rpm). ...
    Right, sorry! I just sort of assumed we were using Debian (or some fork of it), although I don't know why exactly... I mean, it even says RedHat right in the first post
    When I find myself burried in errors, Windows Help appears to me; speaking words of wisdom, Reboot!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Themer View Post
    Right, sorry! I just sort of assumed we were using Debian (or some fork of it), although I don't know why exactly... I mean, it even says RedHat right in the first post
    Don't worry, it happens to the best of us . Anu18, any luck with your X configuring?