Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I was given a laptop by my co-worker to play with, the screen is broken/blotched out in the middle...but other wise good little box, i installed mint7 and works great...any ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

broken laptop display

I was given a laptop by my co-worker to play with, the screen is broken/blotched out in the middle...but other wise good little box, i installed mint7 and works great...any good tips on where to buy ( just the ) led display ? otherwise I'll just get a big flat panel and use this as a backup desktop. thanks

tpl
    Linux User
    eBay? But you should tell the maker/type
    the sun is new every day (heraclitus)

Linux Guru
    Ebay as suggested above is ok for used and some new ones. You might try Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more! as their return policy is very good if it doesn't work or fit.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie

re: bizzaro

this is weird...I found one on ebay, that i want to bid on, but when i measure this laptop, the entire computer is only 13" across, even though the model is 50-15, and all the specs call it a 15" display, I don't tget that at all.

oz
    forum.guy
    Do some online searching for the service manual (not user manual/guide) of your exact laptop model. If you are fortunate enough to find one, it will give you all the info you need to find the exact replacement and tell you how to properly install it.
    oz

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by bigvoo View Post
    this is weird...I found one on ebay, that i want to bid on, but when i measure this laptop, the entire computer is only 13" across, even though the model is 50-15, and all the specs call it a 15" display, I don't tget that at all.
    They are usually measured diagonally. You also may need to measure it outside of it's mounting bezel.

If you haven't already removed it from the laptop, you should do this before trying to purchase a replacement. You should use the part number on the back of it for reference when searching for a replacement. The replacement will most likely have a different part number, but the manufacturer usually lists the models that it replaces.

Also make a note of the connection. You will need to get a replacement with an identical connection.

I have replaced two LCD screens, most recently on my Eee PC. I think I used eBay for that one. No problems.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Linux Newbie
    oh...thanks so much water, that solves alot, not only can I not find a service manul/page for this one, I can't even find that this computer ever existed, it seems that it may have been a compaq surplus computer, that they take all reference of compaq off, and then load it up with mid-level performance to make up for what ever it's aliment was...I didn't think the lcd would have a part number, I thought it was just bulk screen or somtin, now that I know, I'll go ahead and take it apart.

Linux Guru
    Make sure that you pull the battery first, and hold the power button in for 5-10 seconds to discharge the capacitors.

If you want to read up on this before you do it, a Google search brings up plenty of How-To's

How to Replace A Laptop LCD Screen

There is one outfit that seems to have a lot of screens. They are not the cheapest, but you can use it for research.

Laptop LCD Screen
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Linux Newbie
    woo hooo, thanks water...I took it apart and found the part number, and after being first quoted $ 200. ' because it's made in Germany, or some non-sense" I found out it fits about 4 different computers, and found one for $ 35.00 A little google searching paid off.

Linux Guru
    $35 sounds like a good deal! Are you going to show it off to the co-worker that you got it from? He may want it back!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast