Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a Targus Wireless Multimedia Presenter AMP01. Its a 2.4 GHz transmitter receiver unit. Receiver plugs into the usb. It works with WindowsXp and Vista but not in my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Presentation Mouse Help

I have a Targus Wireless Multimedia Presenter AMP01. Its a 2.4 GHz transmitter receiver unit. Receiver plugs into the usb.
    It works with WindowsXp and Vista but not in my Linux install so I know it's not the unit.
    When I plug in the usb unit I get: Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0a91:3801 Globlink Technology, Inc. Targus PAKP003 Mouse.
    Need to know where to go from here in getting this unit to work on my laptop with Linux. Goggling was of no help with this.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I don't suppose you know if it is a bluetooth device or not? Also, can it simulate a usb mouse in hardware? Also, what is the distribution+version of Linux that you are running?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Rubberman,

Thank you, no it's not Bluetooth, and the problem is that it doesn't do anything, it should simulate a mouse in hardware.

I have a Kensington Pocket Mouse ProWireless, same basic type, a usb dongle for receiver, and it works fine on the system. But it's hard for doing presentations with however.

The OS is Ubuntu 9.04.

Thank you.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    My guess is that the device info isn't registered with the kernel, so it doesn't recognize what it is, otherwise it would work like a wireless mouse. The usual solution for such matters is to add it to the device list for the kernel, but that requires recompiling the kernel I think. There has been some discussions about getting non-standard USB devices working in the wireless or kernel forums, but I haven't had to do that myself yet, so this is about as far as I can take you. Perhaps one of the other "experts" here can be more specific.

Thanks for the try Rubberman.

Hopefully some one else has an answer.

I also have a similar problem with the ir remote for my HP DV5. Useless in *nix a think of beauty in Windows.

You know it's really embracing because I tout how wonderful the *nix OS's are and why people should change, so of course what's the first think people say when I need to use either of these units, "isn't that Windows", of course to my embarrassment I have to try and explain.

Linux Guru
    To use a IR remote in Linux, you need to install and configure lirc. It is usually available through your sytem's package management software. You can also get the source (and some lirc info) from their web site.

LIRC - Linux Infrared Remote Control

Lirc needs two config files, a lircd file that lists the buttons and the code associated with it, and a lircrc file that maps the buttons to programs.

There are many sample lircd files with lirc, usually found in the /usr/share/doc section. You can also get them online:

Index of /remotes

I don't see anything for a DV5 under the HP folder, but you should use the remote's model number. It may also maybe under a different folder. The file then is renamed lircd.conf and placed in the /etc/lirc folder.

The lircrc file is not provided. If you cannot locate one for your remote, you will have to make one. A good source for remote info is the MythTV Wiki. It may not have your remote listed, but you can see a few examples of the lircrc file.

The lircrc file is then saved in your home folder as a hidden file .lircrc.

I sort of glossed over it, as it can get somewhat complicated if you remote isn't supported out-of-the-box. You can get one to work, even if you have to do it from scratch (I have never done this).

I was wondering if your mouse may be actually a IR device. You could maybe use lirc to control that too.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

WH, do the IR drivers work with RF devices? His Targus is an RF unit, not IR.

That's correct the Targus is RF same as the Kensington. The Targus works on 2.4GHZ and the Kensington works on 1024 different ones from what I can ascertain.

Waterhead thanks for the irc information I will start working with this information and report back on how it all works.

I would really like to get the Targus going since it has a much better range, does not have to be line of sight, and is a mouse and a multimedia controller as well.