Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I want to buy HP G60t and I would like to know if anybody has experience with this laptop or the following features: 1. 5-in-1 card reader 2. Keyboard ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Compatibility: volume control, card reader and webcam

Hi,

I want to buy HP G60t and I would like to know if anybody has experience with this laptop or the following features:

1. 5-in-1 card reader
    2. Keyboard volume control
    3. HP Pavillon Webcam

I want to know if this features or other features of this laptop will work with Linux.

Thanks in advance.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    First, try a liveCD/DVD and see if it can access those devices. Most card readers are USB based and will work without problems, though they might not automount. Keyboard volume control depends upon the Linux version/distribution you are using. My Dell D630 with Ubuntu 9.04 supports keyboard volume and screen brightness controls. Don't know about the HP. The webcam is totally dependent upon the chipset it uses. You should be able to use it, but you might have to download and install the firmware for it to work. I know that my 3rd party usb webcam works without problems, but I have no experience with a builtin like with the HP.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    For me is important to know before I buy the laptop. I will make my choice by Linux Compatibility. I don't want to buy something and discover later that half of the resources are not working.
    I check all the hardware from this HP model, and those 3 features are the ones that I'm not sure.

Anyway, thanks!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    What I usually recommend is to find the unit in a store, take a liveCD/DVD with your preferred distribution, and try it there. That said, I have had very good luck with Dell hardware running Linux. I currently run 2 systems, a Dell D630 laptop and a custom built under-desk workstatiion (dual quad core, nvidia 8800GT video, dual monitor, intel motherboard). With the laptop, everything worked out-of-the-box with Ubuntu 9.04 including the wifi, bluetooth, usb sprint broadband wireless modem, and external usb webcam. I spec'd the workstation to run RHEL/CentOS Linux and have had 0 problems with that.

In any case, friends/clients of mine have had issues with HP Pavilion hardware though mostly Linux works fine with them.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!