Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
If it was an .img file, I believe it should have been an .iso file....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

If it was an .img file, I believe it should have been an .iso file.
    Last edited by Hal343; 08-24-2009 at 02:37 AM. Reason: punctuation
    Registered Linux User #420832

Just Joined!
    Yeah...that seemed to be the problem
    Thanks.

Ok I got it working, I tried the standard desktop edition of ubuntu which seems to be working...except for the sound but that should be easily fixed. I'm going to try a few of the netbook editions and see what I think.
    One final question for now...as a complete linux newbie switching over from windows, what should I keep in mind?
    What things usually go wrong when you first install linux? Like...what drivers could be missing, any settings I need to change, anything?
    I know Viruses are rare on linux, but should I get an antivirus program just in case? Or can I completely forget about that?

There aren't any specific problems as each distribution will include different things so something will work with one and may not on another. Wireless tends to be the biggest issue we have here at the forums.

Virus scanners are a tricky one. I think most users don't run one but not many will tell you not to run one. It's unlikely you will get a virus but not impossible. Someone could write a virus tomorrow that will infect all our computers, but that's not likely to happen. It depends on if you feel comfortable without one or not
    Linux User #453176

Just Joined!
    There aren't any specific problems as each distribution will include different things so something will work with one and may not on another. Wireless tends to be the biggest issue we have here at the forums.
    Oh ok, well at least I'm not having any trouble with the wifi so I guess that's good heh.

Virus scanners are a tricky one. I think most users don't run one but not many will tell you not to run one. It's unlikely you will get a virus but not impossible. Someone could write a virus tomorrow that will infect all our computers, but that's not likely to happen. It depends on if you feel comfortable without one or not
    I've always been lazy when it comes to checking for viruses and stuff...so I guess I can finally be lazy without to worry

Anyway I finally made the switch. I went with the "ubuntu netbook remix" distro. However I have one question...how slow is it supposed to be?
    For example, whenever I click on firefox it takes 2-3 seconds before it actually opens. Same thing with folders. Is...this normal? Or is something wrong?
    If so...what could have gone wrong?

When I was running the live USB session I figured that was the reason for the slowness. But I now installed it to the harddrive and it's still as slow as before. I don't have the USB stick plugged in so I can't still be running it from there without realizing it. So yeah...

Firefox has a habit of running slowly on my Eee PC 901 but everything else seems to run fine. What netbook do you have? How much RAM does it have? You can check the RAM with the command:

Code:
    free -m
    Linux User #453176

Linux User
    What version of firefox are you running? It should show up under help/about.
    Registered Linux User #420832

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2