Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I am a newbie to Linux and totally love it!! However, I have installed it on an old laptop that was given to me by a customer, it is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Any info on a Prostar 5600P laptop is needed???

Hello, I am a newbie to Linux and totally love it!! However, I have installed it on an old laptop that was given to me by a customer, it is a Prostar (Clevo) 5600P with 40 gig hd, pentium 4 2.20 gig processor, and 512 mb of ram. As far as the video goes I see a sticker on it that says ATI mobility radeon 7500, and in the bios it is set to 64 mb of video memory. My question is; What upgrades can I do to this laptop to make it faster and more up to date? I can't seem to find any info on the web about this computer, and don't want to spend the money if it is not worth it. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Probably the best and easiest improvement you can make is to increase the amount of RAM. From googling around, it should support up to 2 GB. You'll need to check whether it has room for more than one module, though.
    clevo 5600p ram - Google Product Search

I found this site as well.
    Clevo 5600

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the info, According to that site Clevo 5600 it says the 5600P models have only been tested with 1 gig, will it hurt the laptop if I try to put 2 gigs in?

You should try and find out which motherboard you have. I don't think it will hurt anything to try, but I don't really know.

For linux 1 GB is fine. 512mb can be a little light if you're running KDE4 or you like to have a thousand tabs open in Firefox. I rarely use more than about 400mb of RAM.

Linux Guru
    In the BIOS you can sometimes increase the amount of memory that is set aside for the video processor. Try changing the 64mb setting to something larger. You would want to increase the amount of system memory, if you do this.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.