Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Point taken. Reinserted the Dell's Crucial 128mb & Setup shows : System Mem 640KB Extended Mem 64512KB ............. does this mean Ram = 64mb? Part Magic does not run with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Point taken.

Reinserted the Dell's Crucial 128mb & Setup shows :

System Mem 640KB
    Extended Mem 64512KB ............. does this mean Ram = 64mb?

Part Magic does not run with this either.

But why not show 128mb?
    Home build, Asus P5K Premium WiFiiFi Intel,
    Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 2.4GHz, OCZ Cpu Cooler,
    2x2GB, DDR2 800, GeForce 9800 GTX , Excelsior sata 250gb,
    OCZ 600W Psu, X45, XPpro sp3/Ubuntu 8.10

Linux Guru
    Puppy 2.15 should boot and run off CD drive without a hardrive installed. I have done it before on 64 mb of ram on a Compaq 1540 DM (Pentium 166, 64 mb of ram, 2 gig hardrive). Sea Monkey Browser will run slow as Molasses. But it will run. That Compaq had Windows 95 on it. I installed Damn Small Linux on it though because it ran faster. Used the Dillo Browser on it. Puppy should also have the Dillo Browser. I ran it on Ethernet landline with a Xircom PCMCIA Cardbus Modem. A friends schoolkid now has that laptop. Below is how I did it.

Yet Another Technology Site: Damn Small Linux 4.0 install on Compaq 1540DM

as you said, pointles getting anything else without more ram.

With the 32mb stick the Main in Setup shows Extended mem 64512KB
    and with the 128mb shows Extended 97280kb with no visible diference to performance, perhaps trying to indicate that there is something basically wrong internally & that 's why was discarted originally.

Can I get a trial version of the DSL before I go to all the trouble in finding out how to pay $5.0 on the net.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Can I get a trial version of the DSL before I go to all the trouble in finding out how to pay $5.0 on the net.
    All I can suggest is to download DSL 4 off the Net. It is only a 50 MB Distro but has a ton of functions. It is a live cd also. Will run off of cd drive,

Maybe you can get a buddy or go to a library and take a blank cd. Use a image burn software to burn the DSL Iso to the blank CD. DO NOT BURN AS DATA CD because it will not boot. Must be a image. If you click on my link and pick save. You can also save download (only 50mb) to a USB and burn it to cd later. (The link is Damn Small Linux 4.4 iso) Good Luck.

dsl-4.4.10.iso ISO 51102 KB 11/18/2008 12:00:00

thanx again,
    I used IMGBurn like all the other progs I tried that none completed, just got "dsl-4.4.10" & got it up & running in :3mnts.

Ctrl Panel reported:-
    CPU AMD -K6 3D processor
    CPU 400.924MHZ
    MEM Total 94264KB (How many MB is that ??)

Plugged in the BBand cable (it has a socket for this & for modem) but firefox says "server not found,"
    I guessed it needs PCMCIA card so tried the Dell's one, it recognized it as Xrcom CEM56Ethernet/modem (Name Server 127.0.0.1 & 206.13.28.12), but Firefox says "Server not found", needs to be configed perhaps & how???.
    Installed DSL on old Dell & still did not go on line whilst FluxBuntu & Puppy on it both went on line at once.

BUTtttttt..............
    Tried to change time/date in ctrl panel & it crashed. RAM again??

Rebooted & got:-
    You passed an undefined mode number
    Setting paths ....& tenths of Errors
    Unable to read boot sector and not mount root fs on 03:02

& rebooted & got:
    crc Error, system halted.

Removed CD, let all COOL down, rebooted and worked, run for :20mnts, played with time, ctrl panel etc then it FROZE.

Rebooted a few times with same errors. May be it OVERHEATS?, the CD seems quite hot, the laptop body not so.

Let it cool again but same errors all over again. .........nick

Linux Guru
    MEM Total 94264KB (How many MB is that
    Round about 94 Mb of ram which is plenty for DSL.

CEM56Ethernet/modem (Name Server 127.0.0.1 & 206.13.28.12), but Firefox says "Server not found", needs to be configed perhaps & how???
    Connections>Properties>dh client or DHCP to connect

Removed CD, let all COOL down, rebooted and worked, run for :20mnts, played with time, ctrl panel etc then it FROZE.
    Your Free Laptop has some Hardware issues nick. If Me I would buy a can of compressed air. Take apart what is easy to take apart. Keyboard, Cdrom drive, Floppy Hardrive,battery, ram cover lid, any other lids that can be renoved easily. And give that sucker a good clean with the can of air. Also make sure the fan is clean and working properly. After reinstalling CDROM on Lappy I would also run a cheap disc cleaner also to clean the lens. I wouldn;t use a q=tip and alkyhol because of fearing to scratch the lens. Good news is your PCMCIA card is working as it connects. You just need to make sure you are using Auto DHCP to connect.

Thanx a lot, Good news FX went on line!!! hoorey.

in CtrlPanel clicked "DHCP client", nothing opened up, but the lite on BBnd modem flickered & went on line.

1. How to "...using Auto DHCP to connect. ..."

2. with Dell's 128mb stick in it shows 97280kb is this 128MB ?

3. this lapy has a socket (which is wired to something) for the BBnd cable , but when cable inserted nothing happens. Any ideas?. It also has ordinary dial modem socket.

Will comply with clean out, but also the keaboard tape cable has a slit in it & only top line of keys work. Can you get such a cable in US?, here there is none. Used my wireless keyboard on it.

nick

Linux Guru
    Good news FX went on line!!! hoorey.
    Good for you. Congrats.
    3. this lapy has a socket (which is wired to something) for the BBnd cable , but when cable inserted nothing happens. Any ideas?.
    You might have a socket but maybe there is no pci card connected to it,

but also the keaboard tape cable has a slit in it & only top line of keys work. Can you get such a cable in US?,
    Go on Ebay for U.S or Worldwide and look around I guess, I ended up going the easy route and just using one of these since the keyboard and motherboard on my Amrel is next to impossible to find.

No lack for spares here either, wireless kbrd best I think.

For Ram Crucial says Standard Memory: 32 or 64MB non-removable

So if this one has Total 94mb with a stick 32mb then the soldered one must be 64.
    By puting in a 128 stick it ecceeded its max & that's why made no change.

Now I inserted Dell's second stick 64mb & plus the soldered 64 should have its Max of 128mb & on bootup reported 126.648mb & so does the Sys Stats.

Online is noticably faster @ the old Dell, but sole distroying if used to otherwise.

Now, for anyone in the old folk home it is intended for, it ought to have the OS installed on the HD, will this DSL install on a good HD & how I wonder?

Thanx again ......nick

Linux Guru
    Back in Post 22 I left you a link on how I installed DSL on Laptop.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast