Find the answer to your Linux question:
i need help, im trying to put a new operating system on my acer aspire one running linpus. i want ubuntu o.s or any other linux based o.s i need ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

getting rid of linpus

i need help, im trying to put a new operating system on my acer aspire one running linpus. i want ubuntu o.s or any other linux based o.s

i need help!

thanks.

There is an operating system that uses Ubuntu as it's base but is designed to be used on notebooks. It is called Easy Peasy and is available from: easypeasy - for netbooks
    Linux User #453176

There is also a version of Ubuntu specifically for netbooks, called Ubuntu Netbook Remix:

Download Ubuntu Netbook Remix | Ubuntu
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

I haven't tried it, but I've read the Karmic UNR spin has some problems.
    The New Ubuntu Netbook Remix is Totally Karmic: An Early Look | Linux Magazine
    Ubuntu on the Dell Mini: Ubuntu Netbook Remix's Desktop-Switcher Isn't Broken, It's Gone

Here is a nice guide for installing Ubuntu. It's for a Dell Mini 9, but almost everything is the same. The wireless cards are different for the two machines, and I believe the Aspire One should work out of the box.

The method for changing boot order to boot from a flash drive is probably different as well.

Just Joined!
    [QUOTE=tom_931;741458]i need help, im trying to put a new operating system on my acer aspire one running linpus. i want ubuntu o.s or any other linux based o.s

Tom, Ubuntu UNR is fine, I've been running this for a while on my AAO. I have it dual boot with Linpus, just in case some begginners want to see how easy the OS is to handle. Version 9.10 of UNR has just been released and is all singing and dancing here.

I download from the Ubuntu site and wrote the .iso to usb stick with the 'Create USB startup disc" which is included in recent software repos. Once you have a start up stick you can run the new OS as a live disk, repartition or eraze your drive and install the new system. Give it a try.

Coincidently I won't use the DVD that came with the AAO as it unwittlingly wiped the hard drive on my PC on two occasions.