Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone, I am a beginer who tries since some years to find a distribution of Linux which can work fine in an Acer aspire 3005. Some years ago I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Absolut begginer

Hi everyone,

I am a beginer who tries since some years to find a distribution of Linux which can work fine in an Acer aspire 3005. Some years ago I ve installed ubuntu 7.04 version, I suppose, working correctly except connecting to internet because of my modem. Recently I `ve downloaded the Mandriva One which in terms of internet goes fine but...my screen resolution is very poor. Note that I am not a user who can programme etc. So do I have to give up hope using a Linux distribution and settle to Microsoft monopoly?

Thanks in advance.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Depending upon the amount of memory your machine has, you should probably be able to use a more recent version of Ubuntu, such as 8.04 or 9.04, both of which support a wide variety of hardware. All of my wireless and other networking stuff, modems, et al worked fine without installing any additional drivers on those. Currently I am using 9.04 on several laptops.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    thank you for answering Rabberman. I ve already tried those two, unsuccesfully,
    my laptop has 1Gb ram, and 128 cache mem.

Thanks any way

kmisad

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    My wife just put 9.10 on her new netbook that has 1gb and all the usual stuff (wifi, bluetooth, webcam, sprint broadband) and everything worked out-of-the-box.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    nice....it seems i ve done something bad in my laptop, after all thoses trials and formats.Soo...it s time to learn more things in computers...........

kmisad

Hi kmisad,
    Don't loose hope. On anyday linux is far better than windows.

I believe there can not be a fit-for-all distribution. Some features may or may work as expected between distros. Infact, within the same distro these features may or may not work between successive releases.

Now that you currently have Mandriva One, stick to it and you will become used to it in sometime.

Regarding resolution, you mean its not what your laptop capable of? It could be a case of required driver not installed. If you think it is, then, you can edit, "/etc/X11/xorg.conf" to get desired resolution.

My desktop monitor is capable of 1024x768 but Mandi thought it can handle only 800x600. I edited /etc/X11/xorg.conf to include my resolution. Its under 'Screen' Section. I inserted "1024x768" before "800x600" in the 'Modes' line.
    Code:
     Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480" "480x360" "320x240"
    Save it, logout and logback in. You will have your resolution.
    A candle looses nothing by lighting other candles. - Khalil Zibran.
    Registered Linux User #490076