Find the answer to your Linux question:
i want to install *Nix'es -- FreeBSD, Mandriva, Fedora, ... -- onto a laptop (and to install a C++ compiler and its ancillaries, such as emacs) and i need to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Banned

*Nix'es -- minimal performance and hardware requirements

i want to install *Nix'es -- FreeBSD, Mandriva, Fedora, ... -- onto a laptop (and to install a C++ compiler and its ancillaries, such as emacs) and i need to know the minimal performance and hardware requirements of the laptop. i was looking at Configure Your NoteMagix™ M10 Custom Edition - Velocity Micro™ but people have been telling me that, for laptops, i should buy a mac and avoid pc's.

money is a big factor and i would prefer to stay well below $800, but i do not a machine that huffs and puffs.

If your intention is to install Linux or BSD, then I wouldn't buy a Mac. You'll be spending twice as much for no good reason.

Linux has pretty modest requirements. Most distros recommend at least 512MB RAM, but you can certainly find distros that will run fine on less than that. Less than 128MB RAM is challenging if you're planning to run with a GUI.

The computer you're looking at is more than powerful enough to run any Linux or BSD.

I would be prepared for the wireless card to not work out of the box in linux. Many netbooks use broadcom wireless cards which need some extra software to work, so if you have a wired connection initially it would be useful.