Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Finally received the BroadCom HD decoder. Everything is installed and working great so far. Ended up quad-booting Ubuntu, Jolicloud, Win XP Pro and iDeneb. Overall I am impressed with the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Finally received the BroadCom HD decoder. Everything is installed and working great so far. Ended up quad-booting Ubuntu, Jolicloud, Win XP Pro and iDeneb. Overall I am impressed with the performance, for what it is, however this is my first hands-on with a netbook. The keyboard being taped leads to it's cheap feel, more stable attachment would be a plus. Providing one receives their rebate and having spare parts to help complete the build, the price is great compared to other netbooks with similar specs.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by staulbee View Post
    Finally received the BroadCom HD decoder. Everything is installed and working great so far. Ended up quad-booting Ubuntu, Jolicloud, Win XP Pro and iDeneb. Overall I am impressed with the performance, for what it is...
    What operating system/application are you using the CrystalHD card on?
    ...however this is my first hands-on with a netbook. The keyboard being taped leads to it's cheap feel, more stable attachment would be a plus. Providing one receives their rebate and having spare parts to help complete the build, the price is great compared to other netbooks with similar specs.
    I guess you get what you pay for. Mine are still working OK. One has developed a problem with the battery/charger. Sometimes after I unplug it, the charge light remains on. I have to remove and replace the battery to get it to shut off. It also sometimes fails to boot, removing and replacing the battery fixes this too.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    I'm running XBMC on Ubuntu 9.10 with the Crystal HD. The majority of my mkv are 720p and they have played perfectly along with one of the 1080p. I did have one 1080mkv that started with a short stutter but then played out fine. I'm using XBMC and Media Player Classic on Windows XP with perfect performance but my iDeneb partition is a bit buggy yet. When the decoder is in use it does create a noticeable amount of heat.

So far this Sam102 has only had an occasional horizontal line running through mid-screen on cold boot but only during post. I guess I should count myself lucky and keep my fingers crossed.

Linux Guru
    I was running Ubuntu 9.10 with XBMC compiled from a SVN pull. Progressive scan videos (720p, 1080p) play almost perfect. It is the interlaced video of 1080i that I still can't play. Since most of my recordings are from over-the-air digital/HDTV broadcasts they are 720p and 1080i.

The CrystalHD card is suppose to be capable of deinterlacing. But regular software deinterlacing is broke in XBMC, and has been for quite some time. I haven't noticed much new development in XBMC regarding the CrtystalHD card. I am beginning to think that this is as much as we are going to get. That would mean that the CrystalHD card won't work for my purposes. I will eventually have to get a notebook/netbook with a nVidia video chip.

I am now using Mandriva instead of Ubuntu. I was looking for a distro that didn't rely on Pulse audio so much. In Mandriva I am able to disable Pulse audio with just a few mouse clicks.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    Water Head,

Wonderful thread you have started here. I have a world of experience with normal sized laptops and I have just purchased one of these based on this thread.

I am also going to snag the HD card (might take me some time to get it working)

Or is it simple plug and play...

Linux Guru
    Welcome to Linux Forums, Enlighter!
    Quote Originally Posted by Enlighter View Post
    Water Head,

Wonderful thread you have started here. I have a world of experience with normal sized laptops and I have just purchased one of these based on this thread.
    Even after my less-than-wonderful comments on it?
    I am also going to snag the HD card (might take me some time to get it working)

Or is it simple plug and play...
    I only use Linux, so I can't comment on how it is in the other operating systems. In Linux, I believe that the CrystalHD driver has been accepted into the most recent kernel. I don't believe any Linux distros use that kernel for the base install, but when you update after the install, it might.

Installing the driver from the source isn't too hard, but if you're a Linux newbie you may find it a daunting task.

As for using the CrystalHD card, work on that is progressing slowly. It seems that XBMC is the leader on this. If you don't know about XBMC, it is a media center application. It is available for Linux, OSX and Windows.

I've been told (by developers) that when the ffmpeg developers include it in their application, then others will follow. That is because many programs use the ffmpeg libraries in their programs.

Linux Guru
    I was recently checking the Zotac Forums, and discovered some old posts that I had made concerning the $50 rebate for the SAM102. I was giving them some time to send it, and actually forgot about it. I submitted my rebate on November 9, 2009, and still hadn't received it!

The forums administrator has suggested (to others) that they submit a support ticket about the rebate. So I decided to submit a ticket about my rebate, and they responded:
    Your Rebate Status request has come to my attention. I would like to apologize for the delay in receiving any responds. I have a status update for your rebate claim.

Your November 2009 rebate was received, processed, and approved. I have requested a new rebate check to be processed today. You can expect your rebate check in 7-10 business days.
    YAHOO! Looks like I will finally get my $50!

Linux Guru
    Zotac now has a 6-cell battery available for the SAM102, with a list price of $49.99:

EPB601 6 Cell LI - ION Rechargeable Battery [229-10004-0100F]

Since I have 2 of these netbooks, I ordered 2 batteries from Zotac. Since I will finally be getting my rebate, one of them will actually be free. The weird thing is that after adding the $6.99 for shipping, they gave me a $15 discount. There was no indication on what the discount was for, and I am not going to ask!

Now, I sure hope I get my rebate check.

Just Joined!
    Yeah same here..
    We have the same issues...
    If there's anybody out there who share something with regards to this please post it here and share..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3