Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I imagine this is a pretty dull question on these fora, but my situation is a little different. I've been using ubuntu for ages now, but I am a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Which distro on "legacy" Toshiba A210-12U

Hi,

I imagine this is a pretty dull question on these fora, but my situation is a little different. I've been using ubuntu for ages now, but I am a bit buggered by the lack of support for some of my hardware. Specifically the ATI Radeon® X1200 video card. ATI no longer supports the card, and the drivers are no longer compatible with Ubuntu (9.04 onwards).

This means I am stuck with 8.10, which incidentally I have still not managed to get working to my satisfaction with this graphics card. 8:10 still has Firefox 3.0 and OpenOffice 2, and I am fed up with struggling to upgrade everything to keep it current.

So, can anyone recommend a distro (preferably debian based with gnome) with rock solid graphics for legacy ATI (the driver is FGLRX) and up to date on the latest application packages?

Much obliged!

Jez

Linux Guru
    All I could find was this for your model Laptop. You might consider a Alternative to Debian Based Distros and go with something like Slackware, Gentoo, Arch, or Puppy instead. Sorry I can't be of more help to ya.

linux on Toshiba A210-12U - Google Search

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    If you are up to some serious futzing, you might try Gentoo.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    If you are up to some serious futzing, you might try Gentoo.
    Any particular reason?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Gentoo is basically installed/built from scratch. You tell it what hardware you have and what options you want and it builds the system from source. That's what I meant about futzing with it. If something doesn't work quite right, you can usually change some options or build flags and try again. It used to take me about a week to tweak the system for new computer hardware, but once I was done, it worked great. I had some old ATI video hardware on one system and it was able to deal with it just fine. However, I had to know exactly what board and amount of video memory it had in order to get it configured properly.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!