Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey! I have just got a netbook - a Packard Bell dot s - christmas and I wanna throw in Linux but I can't find out which distribution. The netbook ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux distribution for Packard Bell dot s

Hey!

I have just got a netbook - a Packard Bell dot s - christmas and I wanna throw in Linux but I can't find out which distribution. The netbook have an intergrated webcamera which I would like to be able to use with Linux so I was wondering if any of you have got any experience with intergrated webcameras or the specific netbook working with a Linux distribution?

I've been thinking a lot about trying out Jolicloud but I doubt it has got the webcam support.

Merry christmas from
    Simon B. StÝvring
    Denmark

Any distro will work out, after install v4l2.

If you are newbie, I will recommend you to choose from major distributions like Ubuntu(and Variants), Mandriva, OpenSUSE, Fedora etc.
    Never make any misteaks.

Read my Blog at --> Penguin Inside Subscribe Feed

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by b2bwild View Post
    Any distro will work out, after install v4l2.

If you are newbie, I will recommend you to choose from major distributions like Ubuntu(and Variants), Mandriva, OpenSUSE, Fedora etc.
    Well, I've bern using Linux for a while now - maybe not enough to call me anything but newb though. I was just wondering if there are any distributions which are optimized for netbooks - I know one; Jolicloud so I thought there might be more. And I'm looking for one that will work with the webcam which is integrated in the netbook and I've heard there might be troubles getting a webcam to work in Linux.

lol, don't get angry...

I said,
    if (You are Newbie) {
    blah blah
    }
    Never make any misteaks.

Read my Blog at --> Penguin Inside Subscribe Feed

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by b2bwild View Post
    lol, don't get angry...

I said,
    if (You are Newbie) {
    blah blah
    }
    Oh, sorry. I really didn't mean to get angry.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonBS View Post
    I was just wondering if there are any distributions which are optimized for netbooks
    Yes, there are some like that for netbooks and some of them reportedly work very well. You can check out a short listing of a few right here:

Comparison of netbook-oriented Linux distributions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If your computer has strong enough specs to handle it, a full-blown distribution might be preferable, because some of the netbook distros are often considered crippled in various ways.
    oz