Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ack, I accidentally did something stupid and I need a little help fixing it. I got a new laptop for Christmas, an Acer Extensa, seen (ah, I had a link ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Fix Screen Brightness

Ack, I accidentally did something stupid and I need a little help fixing it.

I got a new laptop for Christmas, an Acer Extensa, seen (ah, I had a link with pictures of the machine, but it tells me I can't post links unless I have 15 posts or more? um, c i r c u i t c i t y . c o m /applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5394515&CatId=4942 )...it has some extra shortcut keys (like an internet and e-mail button), so I went through and configured some of them to launch applications along with my usual hotkeys (windows key + letter app begins with). Well, for some odd reason, one of them (which I set up to open my system monitor) was wired so that it did the same thing as function + right arrow, which raises the screen brightness. So setting that shortcut key also disabled my ability to increase my brightness when I press function + right arrow, since it opens the system monitor. Uy.

Well, I accidentally hit function + LEFT arrow when I meant to hit windows key + left arrow (global previous track hotkey for Amarok)...it turned my brightness down to 0%, and of course, I can't set it back. I need to know how to either reset the default hotkey settings (so function + right arrow increases brightness again), or another way to raise and lower my monitor's brightness from the settings or something. I haven't found such a thing yet, and when I click 'default' under Input Actions, it does nothing. Can someone help me to do one of these two things so I can fix my brightness? My screen is so dim right now I can barely see, and I'm pretty clueless when it comes to hardware so I've got absolutely no idea how to fix it.

Which Linux distro are you using?

If you are using KDE4 then rename .kde4 folder in your Home folder.
    Open Konsole and execute this
    Code:
    cd 
    mv .kde4 .kde4.bak
    Logout and log in back.

OS will generate new .kde4 folder with default settings. If everything work well, you can remove .kde4.bak folder.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First