Find the answer to your Linux question:
Sorry for disturbing but here is the error I have My Asus Eee PC went strange last nite. My SOS Function is no longer working properly. This is what I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation Linux Eee PC problem

Sorry for disturbing but here is the error I have

My Asus Eee PC went strange last nite. My SOS Function is no longer working properly. This is what I got.

----

There was an error setting up interprogress communications for KDE. The message returned by the system:

Could not open Network Socket

Please check that the "dcopserver" program is running!"

---

Okay with this error also causes my Open Office to not work and my ability to download my files is no longer able to happen. I am a Linux Noob So please reply in simple terms.

Everything else on the computer works perfect except for the above problems! Could this problem be solved by a simple clearing of the machine (reformatting)

Oh well I really need an answer so thank you for your time.

Thanks

Dan

Are you running Xandros? Sounds Like it.

If worst comes to worst. Back up your music, pictures, important stuff you wish to keep to a USB Pendrive and do a F9 restore.

I don't run Xandros any more on my EEE PC 900. I run Macpup instead for now.
    A good forum if you are running Xandros (which I think you are)
    EeeUser Forum
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    it's doing the same for my USB and yes I have Xandros

is it still safe?

oh well only have a few personal files that have been backed up on GoogleDoc

is it still safe?
    If you mean a F9 restore. That will depend if you bought it new or refurbished. Mine is a refurbished model. I had no F9 restore option in my grub menu. I have a Xandros DVD though that came with the netbook if I wanted to reinstall Xandros. Xandros 4 is based on Debian Etch with defunct Xandros and is not supported very well by Xandros anymore. I just wanted to run something different on it so I went with MacPup.

You can check if you have the restore option like is posted in the screenshot on the link I gave you in my last post. If it is there. It will be safe to use it.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    If you mean a F9 restore. That will depend if you bought it new or refurbished. Mine is a refurbished model. I had no F9 restore option in my grub menu. I have a Xandros DVD though that came with the netbook if I wanted to reinstall Xandros. Xandros 4 is based on Debian Etch with defunct Xandros and is not supported very well by Xandros anymore. I just wanted to run something different on it so I went with MacPup.

You can check if you have the restore option like is posted in the screenshot on the link I gave you in my last post. If it is there. It will be safe to use it.
    THANK YOU!

it works now. I might make the switch from Xandros if it does it again. Use to be a Windows guy myself but everything on linux is pretty awesome. By awesome I mean that by now I would have crashed windows many time over by now. Whereas his was the first Error I've had so far

Thanks again!

Dan

Glad you got it sorted. Don't get me wrong. But Xandros 4 does work well on the EEE 900. If I would have had the restore option on mine. I probably would have went with it. I had my Xandros installation pretty tricked out before I broke it by updating Konqueror. I should have left it alone. But I am a tinkerer. My Xandros 4 screen below. I had multiple wallpapers and custom bouncy Icons on mine with advanced Icewm Desktop.

http://i37.tinypic.com/2mdkmbo.jpg

http://i32.tinypic.com/xpxb83.jpg

http://i36.tinypic.com/8voys3.jpg

This is how it looks now with Macpup running and installed on it.

http://i46.tinypic.com/2py99x3.jpg

I also run AntiX 8.2 on it that is installed and runs off a 8 gig SD External Camera Flash drive. I dual boot by changing the boot order in bios. That means you can keep Xandros on internal SSD drive (4gig) and boot into another Linux distro seperate from Xandros.

http://i26.tinypic.com/2luqa9f.jpg
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Linux User
    Danintrouble,
    If you get the same problem again and want to change the os, try booting from one of the live distros on a usb drive.
    You can try ubuntu, eeebuntu, redhat, opensuse, etc.
    This has the advantage that you will be able to access your original /home partition to recover your personal data.