Find the answer to your Linux question:
I installed RedHat 9 with XFree86 on my Toshiba Satellite A70 laptop a while ago and have been stuck at an 800x600 resolution. This obviously looks hideous, not only is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Resolution problems w/ R9000 Mobility

I installed RedHat 9 with XFree86 on my Toshiba Satellite A70 laptop a while ago and have been stuck at an 800x600 resolution. This obviously looks hideous, not only is everything rediculously large but since my display is widescreen everything is stretched to fit that aspect ratio. I can't seem to go to a higher resolution, or even a widescreen resolution. From one of the links in the sticky at the top it seems like I'll have to install third party drivers, DRI as they called it.

Will these drivers let me use higher resolutions? Is there a way to get these widescreen resolutions with my current drivers (which are basically the VESA drivers)?

Just Joined!
    i have a Radeon M9200 on my HP zt3010. it works great with X.Org. so i assume it should work good with XFree86. make sure you have loaded "radeon" in your XFree86 config and you have the DRI section too. if you need more help, i can post my xorg.conf.

Just Joined!
    I have a mobility radeon 9000 and after specifying the driver in my XF86Config file and more recently my xorg.conf file my laptop is able to achieve it's native resolution.

I know if you have an xorg.conf file you can launch Xorg --configure and it will generate a configuration file for you. After editing that I was up and going in no time.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Thanks guys, it turns out I just needed to change my monitor configuration

For some reason it was set to a default desktop monitor of some kind, changing it to a standard widescreen laptop monitor fixed it up quite nicely and RH is running at 1280x1024 now.

Just Joined!

Resolution problems RH 9.0

Hi Construct,
    I just pulled your reply out of an old thread. I have an ATI RADEON Mobility 9000 graphics card and am not able to go higher than a 800 x 600 res. Although I have other res. available, the system doesnt update.
    How do I edit my XF86 Config file.
    Any help would be appreciated...
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Construct
    I have a mobility radeon 9000 and after specifying the driver in my XF86Config file and more recently my xorg.conf file my laptop is able to achieve it's native resolution.

I know if you have an xorg.conf file you can launch Xorg --configure and it will generate a configuration file for you. After editing that I was up and going in no time.