Find the answer to your Linux question:
Brand new to Linux so please have patience with a newbie and thanks in advance for any help. Have a Dell Inspiron 2600 running W2K SP4 w/325 with 325 m ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can't get Linux to install!

Brand new to Linux so please have patience with a newbie and thanks in advance for any help.
    Have a Dell Inspiron 2600 running W2K SP4 w/325 with 325 m of ram.
    Have downloaded and burnt ISO's for 3 different versions of Linux but all 3 will boot up and start to run but then go to a blank screen with a blinking cursor, during which time the screen displays some strange graphics. The Dell recognizes the CD-R and will list the files. I can't get the program to run from the CD either. After the failed attempts the laptop will boot to Windows OK.
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks
    Mike

Did you check md5sum of iso file downloads? Did you burn the CD by selecting burn image? What distros are you trying to install? What is your graphics card?

Just Joined!
    Does your BIOS support booting from USB so you can try booting the ISOs from a USB device instead?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Thanks for replying but no, the BIOS doesn't support USB booting

Just Joined!
    Have tried Kubuntu, Fedora and Puppy from download. Tried a factory CD of Umbuntu 7.1. I've looked at the md5sum file, but this poor soul has no idea what he's looking at!
    My graphics is Intel 830M. Just tried the Kubunto again. The splash screen comes up and I choose full instal. New splash screen and choose load. Screen goes to blank w/a blinking cursor. Basically the same thing happens on all loads, except when loading Ubuntu, during the blank screen phase the speaker turns on a couple times with what sounds like a flushing sound. (How appropriate!)
    Thanks for your time!
    Mike

try installing latest ubuntu using ubuntu alternate installer disk

ubuntu 7.10 is old and unsupported and you will have hardware issues with it

you have to check md5sum of the downloaded file and verify it against the md5sum that the distro says it should be

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM