Find the answer to your Linux question:
hey guy's 'n gal's... more than a yr ago, bought this unit and was let down miserably. (it was about then i started on the MS o/s alternative path). what ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] am i dreaming?

hey guy's 'n gal's... more than a yr ago, bought this unit and was let down miserably. (it was about then i started on the MS o/s alternative path). what do you reckon my chances are of running any form of linux on this?, android or neo freerunner type of o/s?... if i can do anything at all with it, i would like to just put the gps aspect to use and leave it in the car rather than it being a $700 paperweight. tried to sell it way back but noone wanted it (not surprised).

thanks in advance... flux.

A702 Specifications
    Hardware
    CPU 200Mhz
    GPS Chipset 20-channel SiRFstarIII
    TMC No
    Networks GSM 850/900/1800/1900 and GPRS
    Memory / ROM 1GB
    Memory / RAM 64 MB
    Memory / HDD N/A
    Memory Slot Micro-SD
    Display Type 2.7" Touchscreen TFT LCD
    Resolution 240 x 320 Pixels (QVGA)
    Display Orientation Landscape/Portrait
    Battery Capacity 1130 mAh
    Battery Life Standby time: up to 200hrs, Talk time: up to 4 hrs
    Bluetooth Technology V2.0
    Wi-Fi 802.11b+G
    Infrared Port no
    USB V1.1
    Camera 3.2MP
    Microphone Yes
    Speaker Built-in
    Earphone Jack 2.5mm
    Depth 21.8 mm
    Width 59 mm
    Height 117 mm
    Weight 150g
    Software

Operating System Windows Mobile 6 Professional
    Navigation Software MioMap V3.3
    Video Player Yes
    Video Player Yes
    Audio Player Yes
    Microsoft Office Mobile Yes
    Calculator Yes
    Calendar Yes
    Contacts Synchronization Yes
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sell it dreamer

I had a very similar specced device. I bought it in Jan 2007, used it as a telephone and gps device until Feb 2009.

I always checked the forums and development at

xda-developers

My device never really took off and got running with linux.
    I played around with the Roms from xda site and helped with testing for a year.

When the project stopped advancing, I did a factory hard reset and sold it on eBay.

Purchased for $ 629
    Sold for $ 86

Good luck

Linux Newbie

Have You Tried Machiner Yet ??....

You can try Machiner [at] debian tutorials dot org. Brian is a genius and he might be your best shot at getting it up and running.

Since it is small, you may want to even mail it to him and see if he can tinker with it. He lives in Boston, Ma.

Hope This Helps !!

Steve

Just Joined!

Easy now

Quote Originally Posted by SA.com View Post
    You can try Machiner [at] debian tutorials dot org. Brian is a genius and he might be your best shot at getting it up and running.

Since it is small, you may want to even mail it to him and see if he can tinker with it. He lives in Boston, Ma.

Hope This Helps !!

Steve
    I am neither a genius nor do I have much experience with "smartphones". In fact, I was recently contacted on this exact issue and had to refuse any assistance because I have no friggen idea! In light of exploration I would suggest the OP tinker with it him/herself.

If it were mine, hell, I'd jump right in. And why not?

SA.com, whereas I have at least one professional site with my full name and address in plain sight, I enjoy the use of my moniker and somewhat alter-personality on forums. Thanks for respecting that.

Linux Newbie

The Humble Genius & Debian Expert....

Quote Originally Posted by machiner View Post
    I am neither a genius nor do I have much experience with "smartphones". In fact, I was recently contacted on this exact issue and had to refuse any assistance because I have no friggen idea! In light of exploration I would suggest the OP tinker with it him/herself.

If it were mine, hell, I'd jump right in. And why not?

SA.com, whereas I have at least one professional site with my full name and address in plain sight, I enjoy the use of my moniker and somewhat alter-personality on forums. Thanks for respecting that.
    Brian,

I do respect that, though I never gave it a thought till you mentioned it.

The fact is, you are first class when it comes to this stuff, and I thought you might be his best shot at getting it going. It was the best I could offer him at the time.

Trying to keep it all in context, we are here to try to help & benefit the community, So in that context, I just hope you are flattered that I think so highly of you.

I tried to help, I hope that counts. I'll try to think of something else.

Steve

Just Joined!

Exclamation thanks all...

thanks to all who replied... i've looked into a few things, but have decided that it would probably be an excercise in tinkering that would result in an unuseable bit of gear... so i'm not going to do anything with it...
    thanks again to all of you who offered help!...

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by efflux View Post
    thanks to all who replied... i've looked into a few things, but have decided that it would probably be an excercise in tinkering that would result in an unuseable bit of gear... so i'm not going to do anything with it...
    thanks again to all of you who offered help!...
    Yep. Don't forget to mark the post as {SOLVED}, OK ?

Thanx!