Find the answer to your Linux question:
Aspire One D250 wlan/ethernet not working on centos 5.4 i have tried alot, searching on net to findout the both lan card drivers for my new aspire one d250 but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Aspire One D250 wlan/ethernet not working on centos 5.4

Aspire One D250 wlan/ethernet not working on centos 5.4

i have tried alot, searching on net to findout the both lan card drivers for my new aspire one d250 but coudn't find out. Please help me in finding and installing the drivers. infact i have seen alot people searching for the same but no one has successfully installed any of the lan.

Linux Guru
    Hello, and welcome to Linux Forums!

We will need more detailed information before we can help you. Please read the Wireless Setup thread linked to below. It describes the info needed, and how to find it. Running the script in the second part of that thread is the easiest way to get the needed info.

Wireless Setup - Start Here
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Linux Guru
    The reason that neither the wired and wireless connections are not working, are almost certainly because of your choice of Linux distribution. CentOS is essentially a clone of RHEL. Since it is an Enterprise class distribution, used in offices and servers, it has little use for wireless. It also uses a very old kernel, for stability reasons. Drivers for newer hardware are difficult to install on such an older kernel.

If you don't have a good reason for using this type of distribution, I urge you to use one that is better for your purposes. If you need to use one from the Red Hat family, then install Fedora 12. I will bet that both your wired and wireless connections will work out-of-the-box.

Still want to use CentOS? Did you try the CentOS Wiki?

Well, I did. Try downloading and installing these rpms, meant for an eeepc. The hardware is similar to yours.

Index of /centos/5/eeepc

We still would like you to post the information I asked for in the last post.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
    The reason that neither the wired and wireless connections are not working, are almost certainly because of your choice of Linux distribution. CentOS is essentially a clone of RHEL. Since it is an Enterprise class distribution, used in offices and servers, it has little use for wireless. It also uses a very old kernel, for stability reasons. Drivers for newer hardware are difficult to install on such an older kernel.
    To call it an "older kernel" is misleading. RHEL/CentOS 5.x has kernel 2.6.18 but with thousands of security and bug fixes (nearly 3900 as of 5.4). True, it does not have the same level of hardware support found in the latest kernel. However, it does have drivers backported from newer kernels. So, it is not as bad as it sounds from the version number.
    Quote Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
    Still want to use CentOS? Did you try the CentOS Wiki ?
    I suggest anyone who wishes to run RHEL/CentOS should check the ELRepo web site ( elrepo.org ). It provides loads of kernel version independent, kABI-tracking kmods (kernel modules). These drivers survive kernel updates seamlessly.