Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
hi can any body pls help me in buying laptop which comes with linux os.or is it good to buy laptop and install linux.which is better thank u...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

regarding linux on laptop

hi
    can any body pls help me in buying laptop which comes with linux os.or is it good to buy laptop and install linux.which is better

thank u

Depends on how comfortable you are installing an operating system.

The plus of preinstalled, is that you know that the machine's hardware will all work or if something doesn't you have some recourse and official support. And it supports companies which support linux.

The big minus in my mind is that it can often cost more for the same specs. Computers are subsidized by all the crapware that comes with them when you buy a Windows machine.

ZaReason, Inc.

- system76, Inc.

Welcome to LinPC.us

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    This is another one of those "it depends" situations. I've had both, and had good results in either case. If the hardware manufacturer is supporting some version of Linux, then you can be reasonably sure that their hardware has either been tested and shown to work well with the software, or they have written device drivers for their hardware that Linux didn't support out-of-the-box. I have 3 laptops and 1 netbook with Linux on them. 2 of the laptops were Windows XP machines that I installed Ubuntu on, and one was a native Linux system. The netbook came with Windows 7, but we have tested it with both Ubuntu and Scientific Linux. They all work just fine.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

another problem is certain laptops come with (in my opinion) a cripped OS installed, which turns off a lot of users when they have problems

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by manu1 View Post
    hi
    can any body pls help me in buying laptop which comes with linux os.or is it good to buy laptop and install linux.which is better

thank u
    A couple of sites are:

No problems with Thinkpads and also the Dells that I have used. Currently the i7 (with video is not fully supported). Some wireless cards need to be fussed with. I know Fedora has a site to find solutions.

I once tested a Dell laptop with Ubuntu pre-installed, it was very good. As coopstah13 mentioned above, you have to be careful of crippled OS'es, these are (sadly) just simple, command-line only Linux systems. I really hate this, since it sends out the wrong message to consumers, i.e., that Linux is hard to use.
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Here is a site that builds only Linux systems. Nice folks and they have some nice hardware: ZaReason, Inc.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Here is a site that builds only Linux systems. Nice folks and they have some nice hardware: ZaReason, Inc.
    That looks pretty good. I did notice a typo on their international shipping page and have just sent them an email about it

I think it's good to buy somewhere where you'll be sure that the hardware is supported under Linux - this was one of the bigger reasons for my buying an Asus EEE PC a few years ago. I know I'll be sticking with Linux-proven hardware in the future.
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Just Joined!
    make sure battery life is good, my toshiba (Tecra A has a lousy battery, there was not one positive review although the laptop itself is good

older models

If you want to save some money and install on an older laptop, I just put Puppy linux on an old Toshiba Portege with a P3 500, 392 mb ram, and a 6 gig HD, and it runs great. Being a newbie I fumbled the install a little, but with some help from the forum got everything going.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast