Find the answer to your Linux question:
The idea is to use a netbook in a car for video recording. I need to minimize boot time and be able to configure video applications to automatically start recording ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Which distro for very fast boot time on Atom netbook?

The idea is to use a netbook in a car for video recording.
    I need to minimize boot time and be able to configure video applications to automatically start recording from multiple webcams attached via USB.

What distro should I use and what video recording application would allow me to use it for automatic recording on powerup? Also, it would be nice if the app saved files often to reduce the possibility of loosing entire recording in case of breakdown.

I need to minimize boot time
    Since you didn't say what kind of Netbook . On My EEEPC 900 AntiX boots under 60 seconds.

In AntiX. Cheese is the webcam application. If your webcams are supported. You can edit Icewm startup file and add the entry

Code:
    cheese &
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    How long a system takes to boot is affected by a combination of factors, such as disc speed, kernel size, services to run, etc. I have an embedded ARM system that boots Debian Etch in about 1.5 seconds if I start minimal services (network, USB, and other drivers) and boot from an SD card. It takes 4 seconds if I also start the NTP services to sync the clock to internet time and mount a remote NFS share to a server on the LAN. FWIW, the CPU is only 200MHz. However, to start the full Debian software stack, including X-Windows and all the other stuff, it takes a bit more time, like about 20 seconds.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!