Find the answer to your Linux question:
Winbook Laptop: 2ghz 256M 30GB Intel P4 (the desktop version) When I installed linux (RH8.0), barely any of my drivers were recognized. That's cool, I just went out and found ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Video Drivers

Winbook Laptop:
    2ghz 256M 30GB
    Intel P4 (the desktop version)

When I installed linux (RH8.0), barely any of my drivers were recognized. That's cool, I just went out and found them. One by one down to the video drivers. SiS 650 graphics chipset, however, after installing it and copying the object file to my /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/ directory, restarting . . . no problems, I can load the X windows, but when I check my configuration of my display, generic Vesa drivers are still loaded.

Does any know of any good links (i have a few, but would appreciate more info). Or, how to get access to my drivers if I loaded them correctly.

thanks in advanced,

rekurzion

Linux User
    Did you try using the driver "sis" ? It says it supports your chipset.

Here's the manual http://www.xfree86.org/current/sis.4.html

You'll pobably have to edit your config by hand, ie:
    Code:
    Section "Device"
        #this is just a description, make it what you want
        #use this same value for your Section "Screen" device name
        Identifier  "YouGraphicsCard" 
        Driver      "sis"
    EndSection
    --monkey

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the reply. That was the kind of website I was looking for. Unfortunately it didn't help. However, from the link you passed me I noticed that an upgraded version of the XFree86 contained support for the chipset I was looking for. So I will try upgrading and seeing what results. Thanks again.

rekurzion

Linux User
    If you have or get X.org instead of XFree86, the documentation is at http://freedesktop.org/~xorg/X11R6.8.0/doc/

Currently, the config for both is almost identical, but the xorg site is newer
    --monkey

Just Joined!
    monkey8,

thanks again for the help. i got it work and without having to upgrade X. I think one of the problems I was having was that I had the incorrect binary (yes, I still play with binaries, for now at least). It seems that even though most systems with an X version of 4.2 come with gcc 3.x, they were most likely compiled with gcc2.x, so I tried a different binary and got it to work. Also, I had some obvioud mistakes in my config file. Overall, now I need to take a look at some of the extra options and get them to work, but the driver is loaded and functioning.

The weird thing is that even though I have the display working in 1024X768, under X config tool, it still shows a display of 800X600, and 1024X768 is unavailable for selection. but that is a minor problem, as I already have a display 1024X768 (this is a laptop i am working on).

regardless, thanks for the pointers

rekurzion

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by rekurzion
    The weird thing is that even though I have the display working in 1024X768, under X config tool, it still shows a display of 800X600, and 1024X768 is unavailable for selection. but that is a minor problem, as I already have a display 1024X768 (this is a laptop i am working on).

regardless, thanks for the pointers

rekurzion
    You can set whatever resolution you want if you edit the config manually. Here's part of my /etc/X11/xorg.conf (I have xorg, since you said you have xfree86 I believe your file is called /etc/X11/XF86Config )
    Code:
    Section "Screen"
        Identifier  "Screen 1"
        Device      "nvidia geForce FX 5600"
        Monitor     "DellM781S"
        DefaultDepth 24

Subsection "Display"
            Depth       8
            Modes       "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
            ViewPort    0 0
        EndSubsection
        Subsection "Display"