Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey Guys, I don't think there is anything else on this site about this. "I HOPE". I have just bought a new macbook pro 13" version 7.1 Machine stats are ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

New Macbook Pro 7.1 - No Linux Allowed!

Hey Guys,

I don't think there is anything else on this site about this. "I HOPE".

I have just bought a new macbook pro 13" version 7.1

Machine stats are this :

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro7,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 8 GB

I am running snow leopard which came with the machine. I have used bootcamp to install a fat partition on the machine and also installed refit.

Okay heres the scoop ive downloaded fedora core 13, 10 wouldn't install so i thought i should update to 13 and try again.

NO install!

So I downloaded Ubuntu 10.04, Gentoo "latest release", Debian "latest Release" and so on... I think all up 6 different versions... None would install... I didnt look into much further than that before I thought I would backup and wipe out snow leopard and then try again....

No Luck!

So by this stage I looked at it more properly ...

The problem I am having is no matter what distro I try they all have the same problem... they boot up get so far and then can't find the cdrom ??? has anyone else heard of the this yet with the new macbooks... I think it might be another sneaky trick of apple to lock people out! *dont like it to much*... I love linux and would like to have anyone of the distro's on my machine but just can't get it to find the cdrom on boot...

Help Please if you can ..

Cheers all

Kane

Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    ahh bummer so sorry didn't realise it was already posted ...

what a bummer...

*waits patiently*

Just Joined!

linux on mbp

hey kaneo, dunno if you're still trying but toorox has a gentoo based live cd which can install on to a mbp 7.1. i have it on mine after a bit of stuffing about with partitions. only problems i've had/got is getting the broadcom wlan card and the not lit backlit keyboard going but i haven't tried really hard yet to fix either problem.
    regards

update: broadcom wlan is up and running.
    Last edited by drongo; 10-20-2010 at 06:52 PM.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Also, you can't install Linux on a FAT file system.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!

Thumbs down

Hi. I have to say: RTFM... I mean... When you want to install linux or other OS on your MacBook Pro, you have to insert the CD/DVD... Then shutdown your Mac and turn it on, holding option (alt) key... Then, after you'll succesfully install your Linux, be so kind and edit your initial post. Don't attack Apple, just because you are noob and don't know how EFI works. rEFIt sucks in a few ways, so hold the option key, it will do the trick. Now go and install... Remember to edit after...

EDIT: I have forgotten to write you have to wait for CD/DVD ROM to display in the startup menu... It takes some time to load the CD/DVD ROM and detect, whether it is bootable or not... Then post your success...

Just Joined!

Ubuntu 10.10 Works for me

I've got a 13" MBP 7,1, running Ubuntu 10.10 since late Nov. 2010. The documentation for Ubuntu on MBP help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookPro says that none of the CDs prior release 10.04.1 will boot on this machine (i.e. you can't use the original 10.04 iso release of the current Long-Term-Support version on this machine). The same kernel issues that prevent this may be what you were running into with the other distros if the weren't the latest kernel.

There are still various hardware issues to clean up. As of now though, the documentation at help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookPro7-1/Maverick covers everything that I needed to get 10.10 64 bit running well on my Mac. I do strongly recommend compiling your own wireless driver from Broadcom's source code as performance with the current version in the Ubuntu repositories is awful.

Good luck.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Part of the problem is that current Macs don't use a standard (old-style) BIOS, but something called EFI (Extensible Firmware Interface), which is for all intents and purposes a newer BIOS. So, the version of Linux you want to run has to support EFI systems, which basically means only newer distributions such as Ubuntu 10.04 or later and RHEL 6, etc. Note that VirtualBox has an EFI option so you can test distributions for EFI support in a VM. Either they run, or they don't...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by bdentremont View Post
    The documentation for Ubuntu on MBP help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookPro says that none of the CDs prior release 10.04.1 will boot on this machine (i.e. you can't use the original 10.04 iso release of the current Long-Term-Support version on this machine).
    Dunno why they say it. I successfully installed 10.04, 10.10 and 11.04. I have no problem running it... Installations runs smoothly, but in this case, Windows 7 runs far better, if we talk about OOB states for BOTH OSs. But back to that title, I know there are linux guys that hate Apple, but it is an irrelevant information, in the topic. I don't hate Apple, but I don't like it anymore. I am switching back to PC's. Namely Toshiba Satellite A665-148, but please EDIT that post title!