Find the answer to your Linux question:
Thanks for any help, I am a newbie and not familiar with command line entries, so need advice. I installed Goblinx, otherwise known as G:standard, on a legacy laptop. At ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

[SOLVED] G:standard isn't installing lilo properly

Thanks for any help, I am a newbie and not familiar with command line entries, so need advice. I installed Goblinx, otherwise known as G:standard, on a legacy laptop. At the end of the install it says it needs to install lilo to the mbr. I clicked the simple install (the buttoned option for a standalone install), and it seemed to install. My problem is that now when I turn on the computer it starts ISOLINUX, then Intel landesk etc, and stops at GRUB and a blinking cursor.

The forum site for goblin has been moved and renamed, and doesn't appear functional yet. I registered but it wouldn't let me post and only had the welcome messages posted on it.

It will boot from the live CD, but is very slow.

Linux Guru
    Never heard of GoblinX but their web site indicates it is based on Slackware which is probably why it is installing Lilo bootloader instead of Grub. How old is your legacy laptop and what are hardware specs, (processor speed, RAM,etc). If you are getting Grub then some other Linux must have been on the computer. Obviously, Lilo didn't install to the mbr or this would not be happening. Haven't used Lilo for 6-7 years but I'm sure someone will come along who knows how to reinstall it.

My laptop is a PIII 500 with 384 MB Ram, 6 GB hard drive. One of the reasons I was trying to use GoblinX, is that it is one of the few distro's to recognize the Toshiba screen as 1024x768. Lubuntu, which I would prefer to use, sees it as 800x600, and that is the max resolution offered under the display manager. I did a little search and found some pieces of command line entries to change x to 1024 and y to 768, but don't know enough to be able to find the xres and yres to change them.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Forgot to mention, I had Puppy 5.0 on it, and it ran fine, recognized the screen, etc. I was just distro hopping, trying to find something a little easier to use with no linux/command line experience. If all else fails, I will go back to Puppy.

As you mentioned in first post, Lilo was selected as Boot Loader. But it is throwing GRUB error at startup.
    Was installation successful? Have you tried to re-install Lilo?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Yes, I installed, then reinstalled. If the grub is left over from my Puppy install, should I reformat the drive, then repartition it and try again?

Linux Guru
    I haven't used Lilo for quite some time but, here is a link to the Slackbook site explaining how to reinstall Lilo. There is no need to reformat the entire drive. You just need to install Lilo to the mbr which apparently did not happen during your Goblin install, hence the Grub error.

Booting

solved

Thank you! That is exactly what I was looking for.