Find the answer to your Linux question:
Dear all, I am interested in purchasing a laptop that would work fast enough (with Linux) that I would be able to do some photoshopping and movie editing. I wonder ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Purchasing Laptop: Advice Needed

Dear all,

I am interested in purchasing a laptop that would work fast enough (with Linux) that I would be able to do some photoshopping and movie editing. I wonder what type of Intel CPU do you recommend? What type of specifications should I keep in mind?

How does an Intel Celeron sound? I have found the following computer below for $300.00 and I wonder if the power is sufficient for my purpose.

I have never worked with a Linux and so I don't know how fast it functions when someone is editing photos and videos. Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Ron

-------

Product Features

Intel® Celeron® processor 900
    Features an 800MHz frontside bus, 1MB L2 cache and 2.2GHz processor speed.

3GB DDR3 memory
    For multitasking power, expandable to 4GB.

Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support
    Records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL media; also supports DVD-RAM.

15.6" TFT-LCD high-definition widescreen display
    With TruBrite technology and 1366 x 768 resolution for stunning detail and clarity.

250GB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm)
    Offers spacious storage options.

Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M
    With 128-1340MB dynamically allocated shared graphics memory for intense detail.

Multiformat media reader
    Supports Secure Digital, Memory Stick and MultiMediaCard formats.

3 high-speed USB 2.0 ports
    For fast digital audio, video and data transfer.

Built-in high-speed wireless LAN (802.11b/g)
    Lets you connect to the Internet without wires.

10/100 Ethernet LAN
    With RJ-45 connector for a quick and easy wired Web connection.

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello

If it were me, I'd check the websites for the applications that you plan to use and see what they suggest as system requirements because I know that you don't want to come up short on this by purchasing a system that's too weak to handle the job. You can also check this wiki page to see a comparison of some of the various video editing apps and system requirements:

Comparison of video editing software - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In the interim, maybe someone doing the same kind of work on a Linux laptop will jump in here with some tips and advice for you. Do let us know what you end up going with and how it all works out.
    oz