Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Guys, 1st post here.. I have got a friends netbook which is an Acer Aspire One ZG5 Model AOA 110 which has decided for no reason to stop booting ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help needed to recover Linux Linpus on Netbook?

Hi Guys,
    1st post here..

I have got a friends netbook which is an Acer Aspire One ZG5 Model AOA 110 which has decided for no reason to stop booting into the OS. He reliably informs me that Linux was installed on it. I did a bit of research with Acer and it would appear that they install Linpus onto these netbooks.

I would just like to say at this point I know very little about Linux OSes

He says that he has photos on the drive that he would like to retrieve. If it was a standard sata ssd or hard drive no problems but it is a ZIF 8GB ssd that is installed in the netbook so connecting it to something to pull off the files is out of the question.

I need to know how to get Linpus back onto the netbook (I assume by USB) and will it repair the installation already on there as I think there must be something wrong with the boot loader file on the original Linpus installation.

Any advice would be great, cheers

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello and welcome to the forums!

I know nothing about Linpus, but the Acer support website should provide some info that would help you get Linpus reinstalled. Otherwise, you might be able to use UNetbootin to get it installed and running:

UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads

In the interim, maybe someone that uses Linpus will respond with some other suggestions.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thanks Ozar I will pop over to the Acer forums and see if I can get some assistance.

If anyone else has any advice I am all ears

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by jaseuk View Post
    Hi Guys,
    1st post here..

I have got a friends netbook which is an Acer Aspire One ZG5 Model AOA 110 which has decided for no reason to stop booting into the OS. He reliably informs me that Linux was installed on it. I did a bit of research with Acer and it would appear that they install Linpus onto these netbooks.

I would just like to say at this point I know very little about Linux OSes

He says that he has photos on the drive that he would like to retrieve. If it was a standard sata ssd or hard drive no problems but it is a ZIF 8GB ssd that is installed in the netbook so connecting it to something to pull off the files is out of the question.

I need to know how to get Linpus back onto the netbook (I assume by USB) and will it repair the installation already on there as I think there must be something wrong with the boot loader file on the original Linpus installation.

Any advice would be great, cheers
    First thing I would try is booting from a live linux distro and see if you can find the photo's and transfer them to a usb stick. If you can it would then be the ideal time to install a usable linux netbook distro like ubuntu UNR or Mandriva, you can create a bootable USB stick from unetbootin in either windows or linux.

Linux Guru
    I have a Acer Aspire One ZG5 (with 120Gig sata HD)

I would recommend making a PuppeeePuppeee Linux live pendrive (2 gig pendrive so as to have room for retrieving and saving linspire data. Bigger pendrive if files are bigger)

Use the Atom Iso. As the Acer uses a Atom Processor.
    http://puppeee.com/files/Puppeee1.0/...e-1.0-atom.iso

As Ozar said. You can use Unetbootin to make the pendrive from the ISO/

It will work Out of the box on your Acer Aspire One. At least it does on mine.
    Use it to retrieve important files from Linspire install.

Now for bad news. Linpus is a dead Linux distro. Not supported anymore and you will jump through hoops to get the latest software to run on it.
    Go for a more recent Distro. Puppeee is a good one. JoliCloud 1.0 was released this summer. Ubuntu NBR is another good one for Acer Aspre One
    . https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne

You are probably hearing this at the Acer forums also.