Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
I run Lubuntu on a 1.1 with 384 MB ram, and used to run antiX 8.5 on a P3 500 w/384 MB ram. Puppy and Crunchbang are other good choices....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I run Lubuntu on a 1.1 with 384 MB ram, and used to run antiX 8.5 on a P3 500 w/384 MB ram. Puppy and Crunchbang are other good choices.

Just Joined!
    "(can be upgraded to 512 MB, but I don't want to do that - it's just not worth it)"
    Wrong. It won't cost much.
    It will save you lot of troubles (and would have saved you this post in the first place...) Worth a try because you seem keen to make it works. But if you feel like carry the burden...

Just Joined!

256M more will MUCH better meet your requirements

>>>> "(can be upgraded to 512 MB, but I don't want to do that - it's not worth it)"
    >>>> Wrong. It won't cost much.
    >>>> It will save you lot of troubles (and would have saved you this post...

I second TinyTux's comments.

I run lots of older computers and find that upgrading from 256 to 512 hugely expands their possibilities. Given your requirements to run streaming video and several windows/browser tabs, the memory upgrade is critical.

Does it take PC-100 or PC-133?

You can get a 256M stick of that used for $20 at a computer show or online.

I get them for free from cannibalizing older computers or individually -- through such sources as friends and family with old machines, Freecycle, and Free Geek.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I run Debian Etch (2.6.2x kernel) on systems with as little as 64MB, including all the X11 cruft. So, try a minimal Debian system. They are easy to configure with just the stuff you need, leaving out the unnecessary drivers, though that implies building a custom kernel. The other option I would consider for an old system like this (which I have done on my old Dell desktop w/ 256MB ram) is Gentoo.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2