Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all The time has come for me to dump my stationary computer for another one and since it was a long time i followed the development on the linux ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Looking for a laptop capable of playing 1080 movies over HDMI

Hi all

The time has come for me to dump my stationary computer for another one and since it was a long time i followed the development on the linux hardware front... I'm in need of help!

I'm looking for a computer thats ready to playback HD-media even in matroska format aswell as capable of delivering dolby digital & DTS sound through HDMI. It dosent matter if its nvidia, ATI or Intel graphics card, as long as its relatively hasslefree. I was thinking of a eeepc 1215N but since lots of its hardware dosent seem to be compatible in linux, i decided not to bother. What about some of the i5 cpu's?

Keep in mind that I live in europe and cant order from the US, since that'd put me out of cash

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Don't bother with integrated video since it "shares" system RAM, doesn't perform as well, etc. Here is a Linux laptop from ZaReason.com in the US. They ship internationally, so while it will cost you a bit more, it should be reasonable. This one has a good nVidia video system and HDMI output.

Verix 1656 :: Laptops :: ZaReason, Inc. :: Laptops, Desktops, Servers, and Peripherals Designed for Ubuntu Linux

They have other systems that are cheaper which may still do what you need.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Hey, thanks for the reply. Was going to give up hope about getting help in this

I searched around and i found a smiliar laptop, with GeForce GT 320M - the lapton in question is Acer Aspire 5741G that i might go for (what do you think of that?).

But I also wonder, video acceleration wise wich are better... nvidia with vdpau or intel/ATI with XvBA?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I haven't used an ATI card since the Wonder years... AFAIK, nVidia currently has better drivers for Linux. I have an 8800GT card (dual head) that I use with CentOS which works fabulously - I can run dual HD video streams (one on each 1920x1200 display) without stutter. I also have a nVidia chip set in my Dell D630 laptop and it does HD very well also.

Just Joined!
    That's weird, either my computer must be foobar or your videocard runs on stereoids, because my GeForce 8800 GTS does NOT do a very good job at accelerating 1080. its one of those high-end cards that just missed support for vdpau... which is the ready why i was slightly iffed with nvidia and was curious on the alternatives

This could also be a product of that evil kernel bug 12309 (Large I/O operations result in poor interactive performance) which bottlenecks my system. Either way, i'll make sure to buy a laptop with a return policy!

Well, I do run this card on a dual quad-core Intel S5000XVN motherboard, running dual E5450 Penryn 3GHz Xeon chips w/ 8GB of RAM. The OS is CentOS 5.5 and it is running a recent 64 bit release of the nVidia drivers - 256.35. I'll probably update the video driver the next time the kernel is updated.