Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm having trouble configuring the monitor on my laptop. My computer is an old Toshiba Tecra 500CDT. According to the manufacturer's website, the refresh rate says the following: Refresh rate ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

xf86config

I'm having trouble configuring the monitor on my laptop. My computer is an old Toshiba Tecra 500CDT. According to the manufacturer's website, the refresh rate says the following:

Refresh rate @ 1024x768/ 64K colors Non-Interlaced Vert.: 60Hz Hor.: 48.5kHz

Now, I've tried every combination of options in this thing, and I can't get anything to work. When I load X, either the screen just sits there and flickers on and off, or its so huge that it goes off the sides of the screen. Please help me out here, what are the correct selections for my computer? Thanks a lot in advance to whoever can help me out with this.

Linux Newbie
    I'd assume those settings are max settings. SO to be safe try something like 800x600 and 60Hz vert and maybe 50 Hor and see how that goes. Then if it works just try something higher untill you're happy.