Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have an alienware 51m laptop that I'm currently running Gentoo on. It always overheats though and I have to set the CPU speed down to like 1ghz to be ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Best Distro for an Alienware Laptop

I have an alienware 51m laptop that I'm currently running Gentoo on. It always overheats though and I have to set the CPU speed down to like 1ghz to be able to compile anything all the way through without it overheating. Does anyone know a good distro for laptops that has good power management and temperature monitoring? Its a 2.8 p4 (not mobile) and i have the 2.6 kernel right now. If you could even suggest what i could do to make gentoo not overheat my computer all the time, that would be great too. Thanks!!

Xko
    Just Joined!
    Aren't you concerned that you've had to drop from a 2.8 to a 1ghz and that (as you said) always overheats!

Surely that's not good man!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Xko
    Aren't you concerned that you've had to drop from a 2.8 to a 1ghz and that (as you said) always overheats!

Surely that's not good man!
    Maybe you should have your Laptop checked out

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Well yeah I am, thats why I was wondering if I'm missing something when I set up gentoo or if theres a better distro for laptops. Do you have any ideas?

Just Joined!
    Also, I dont think it's anything wrong with my laptop... I have a windows XP partition that works fine, doesnt over heat so I'm wondering if it is just gentoo.

Xko
    Just Joined!
    I wonder how Gentoo could overheat a laptop so much...?

That's kinda strange if you ask me...

Linux Guru
    MDK 10.1 claims to have the best laptop support. From what I've seen, they do. Granted, I'm running on an old 1Ghz PIII.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!
    I've found debian.org to provide a quality package management system for precompiled binaries which run smoothly on both desktop as well as laptop computers. This might be a viable option for your scenario since it seems that the compiling is what is heating up your CPU.

Linux Engineer
    I use slackware on a really old Dell Latitude, PII 333, 128mb, 10gig, and have never had any problems...after, of course, installing the mouse, then installing xwms, and then configuring the sound, and then...but once it set up I've had no problems

Just Joined!
    Its not only overheating during compiling, it just occurs more quickly during compiling.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast