Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, a little while ago I downloaded and installed linux (PcLinuxOS) as dual boot with Windows XP on my laptop and it all worked well. Suddently it sayd that I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation [very urgent] grub error 22 with 'worst case scenorio' laptop

Hello, a little while ago I downloaded and installed linux (PcLinuxOS) as dual boot with Windows XP on my laptop and it all worked well. Suddently it sayd that I didnt have enough space in home. I had yet an empty partition, and logged in in XP, where I deleted the Linux partitions, with the meaning of reinstalling linux.
    Follischly enough, I forgot to uninstall Grub.

Now I get this error:

GRUB Stage1.5
    Error 22

It coudnt find the Linux partitions.
    I tought that it was easy to fix (I have another PC) but my laptop's cd drive is broken (it destroys Cd's) and it won't boot from USB. Also, the BIOS is passworded with a password I do not know. And it has no floppy drive. All I have is a MultiBoot menu (F12) with these options:

+HDD
    Network
    Floppy
    CD/DVD
    (or something like it)

But all those lead to GRUB.
    It's an Acer Aspire 1692WLMi (they better should have called it 'Acer Disaster')

I need this laptop done tomorrow, because I will be travelling for my work and I will need it.

Any idea how to fix this?

Hello and Welcome.
    How did you install PcLinuxOS in the first place? How were you planning to reinstall PcLinuxOS if you have no devices to boot from?
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Do you have a Windows installation disc? If so, you can fix the partition table / boot loader by reinstalling the Windows boot loader (it can be done without affecting the XP installation). If you don't have installation media, you may be SOL, though you can boot a live CD/DVD and reinstall Linux - it will reinstall grub if necessary. In any case, the main problem is that Grub looks in /boot/grub on your Linux partition for information about what partitions can be booted, and since you blew that away in Windows, you are left with the Grub boot loader looking for non-existent disc configuration information. Or as our friend Homer Simpson would say, "Doh!"...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!