Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am very new to linux world. i know the basic of linux. Recently i brought the sony vaio e-series laptop and i installed RHEL5 with Windows 7 (dual boot). ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Lightbulb Problem using MTS usb modem on RHEL5 and sony vaio E -series

I am very new to linux world. i know the basic of linux.
    Recently i brought the sony vaio e-series laptop and i installed RHEL5 with Windows 7 (dual boot).
    MTS modem document says it supports the Redhat linux but When i plug my MTS USB modem on Linux it shows me two entry one for usb mass storage and one for the CD rom but when i tried to open CD-rom mount point it shows me error "Media is empty". but when i tried to plug it on different RHEL5 machine (my desktop) i am able to open this CD-rom Mount point and i can see the MTS rpms there.!!!!!
    I am not able to figure out this problem can anybody help me on this

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Welcome to Sony Vaio he-ll... They like to put a lot of proprietary hardware in their systems that are incompatible with anything but Sony-provided software. The problem is most likely in the USB controller hardware. What is the output of the command "lsusb"?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Hi rubberman,
    Thanx for replying...
    here is the output of lsusb command

[root@localhost ~]# lsusb

Bus 002 Device 003: ID 19d2:fff5

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0020

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0020

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0c45:6409 Microdia

very first entry come when i plug my MTS usb modem.
    i read about usb mod switch on net which is required for the MTS usb modem. i am able to install the proper rpms for usbmod switch but still i am facing the same issue.

Just Joined!
    Can anyone help me ????

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You say this is an MTS USB modem. Naturally it won't show up as a CD-rom. However, you also say that on another RHEL5 system it shows up and you can see some RPM files. I take it you want to install the RPM's to get the appropriate modem drivers? If that is the case, then mount the device on the system where you can see the data and copy the RPM's to a thumb drive or other spot that can be accessed from the Vaio. Then, you should be able to install them, assuming the RPM's are RHEL5 compatible.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!