Find the answer to your Linux question:
Trying to breathe new life into a secondhand iBook. I've never been an Apple guy, so I don't know the quirks of this hardware. What I get, after a successful ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

[solved]Debian 5.0 ppc install on iBook g3 video problem

Trying to breathe new life into a secondhand iBook. I've never been an Apple guy, so I don't know the quirks of this hardware.

What I get, after a successful netinstall, is a X screen where the desktop only takes up the upper left 2/3rds of the screen, with a white stripe below it, and the uppermost quarter of the desktop repeated below the white stripe. The maximum available resolution is 800x600, but comments I've seen elsewhere indicate it possibly should get up to 1024x768?

The video card is the typical ATI Rage M3 Mobile (functionally an r12. If there is a better, nonfree driver available, I'm willing to use it, but the Debian site just leads me around in circles trying to figure out which file that might be and where to find it.

[SOLVED} by editing xorg.conf (bolded text was added)
    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Configured Monitor"
    HorizSync 60
    Vertrefresh 10-200

EndSection

and

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Monitor "Configured Monitor"
    DefaultDepth 16
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 16
    Modes "1024x768"
    EndSubSection

EndSection
    Last edited by Xheralt; 11-09-2010 at 02:11 AM. Reason: solved!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    What is the driver listed in xorg.conf?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

It's listed. ATI Rage Mobile M3, aka r128; it's a pretty old piece of hardware. My guess is, being Apple hardware, the detection scripts just didn't recognize it properly, which is why the bolded text wasn't autogenerated in the first place.

I'm having trouble getting the sound card recognized and working as well, but I was going to start a different thread for that....
    Last edited by Xheralt; 11-10-2010 at 02:11 PM. Reason: further detail

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    What kind of I-book is it? Clam shell? If it is you are going to have to crack it open to mod some chips so you can get a higher rez on it.

But thats it I know. I'm such a linux noob.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjake52 View Post
    What kind of I-book is it? Clam shell? If it is you are going to have to crack it open to mod some chips so you can get a higher rez on it.

But thats it I know. I'm such a linux noob.
    Not a clamshell (Had to actually google that, I'm not a Mac person). I think it's a 500 series, pre-2001. It was secondhand, and free.

I'm not worried about getting higher rez, 10x7 is enough for me. I'm not so desperate as to perform surgery on it -- also, note that I consider the problem [SOLVED], but thanks for commenting anyway.