Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Rubberman, I'm not sure what would have remapped the keyboard. I use Slackware on a number of computers, and configure them all as identically as possible (given the hardware variations), ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    zsd
    Just Joined!

Rubberman,

I'm not sure what would have remapped the keyboard. I use Slackware on a number of computers, and configure them all as identically as possible (given the hardware variations), and I've never had this issue on any other computer.

I'm using English. LANG is en_CA, LC_COLLATE is C and I don't do any other lanuage customizations. (Not that I'm aware of, anyway.)

Thanks for your thoughts, if you have any other I'm happy to hear them.

zsd
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by dracus View Post
    ZSD:

I (eventually, after a 2 month delay) traced the problem to a missing package, kbd, that contained the keyboard driver for X11. The other system I was using at the time (my desktop) also had Slack 13.1 on it, and both were installed over the network, so I never figured out why that one package was installed on the desktop but not on the laptop. However, this does not sound like it is your problem. I agree with Rubberman, it sounds like a keyboard mapping issue. Check the xorg.conf file (should be under /etc/X11) and look for the "InputDevice" block for keyboard. There should be a line something like:

Option "XkbLayout" "us"

or something similar. If the last option has a different country code, that is a problem. Good luck.

Dracus
    There was no such line, but adding it (sadly) had no effect. Xorg.0.log says

[ 13591.878] (WW) AllowEmptyInput is on, devices using drivers 'kbd', 'mouse' or
    'vmmouse' will be disabled.
    [ 13591.878] (WW) Disabling Keyboard0
    [ 13591.878] (II) Loader magic: 0x81f0f80

where Keyboard0 was the appropriate device. However, it turns out that /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/90-keyboard-layout.conf already specifies a "us" layout:

Section "InputClass"
    Identifier "keyboard-all"
    MatchIsKeyboard "on"
    MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
    Driver "evdev"
    Option "XkbLayout" "us"
    #Option "XkbVariant" ""
    Option "XkbOptions" "terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"
    EndSection

Perhaps I need to find some variant that makes X happy...

This is the relevant section from Xorg.0.log, for anyone who might be curious:

[ 13594.108] (II) config/udev: Adding input device AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
    (/dev/input/event4)
    [ 13594.109] (**) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: Applying InputClass "evdev keybo
    ard catchall"
    [ 13594.109] (**) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: Applying InputClass "keyboard-al
    l"
    [ 13594.109] (**) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: always reports core events
    [ 13594.109] (**) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: Device: "/dev/input/event4"
    [ 13594.109] (--) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: Found keys
    [ 13594.109] (II) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: Configuring as keyboard
    [ 13594.109] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "AT Translated Set 2 keyb
    oard" (type: KEYBOARD)
    [ 13594.109] (**) Option "xkb_rules" "evdev"
    [ 13594.109] (**) Option "xkb_model" "evdev"
    [ 13594.109] (**) Option "xkb_layout" "us"
    [ 13594.109] (**) Option "xkb_options" "terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"

And finally, this is what xev reports when I press 'a' and then 'b':

KeyPress event, serial 32, synthetic NO, window 0x1200001,
    root 0xe3, subw 0x0, time 13370689, (92,104), root: (919,635),
    state 0x0, keycode 38 (keysym 0x61, a), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 1 bytes: (61) "a"
    XmbLookupString gives 1 bytes: (61) "a"
    XFilterEvent returns: False

KeyRelease event, serial 35, synthetic NO, window 0x1200001,
    root 0xe3, subw 0x0, time 13370769, (92,104), root: (919,635),
    state 0x5, keycode 38 (keysym 0x41, A), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 1 bytes: (01) ""

KeyPress event, serial 35, synthetic NO, window 0x1200001,
    root 0xe3, subw 0x0, time 13373755, (92,104), root: (919,635),
    state 0x5, keycode 56 (keysym 0x42, B), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 1 bytes: (02) ""
    XmbLookupString gives 1 bytes: (02) ""

KeyRelease event, serial 35, synthetic NO, window 0x1200001,
    root 0xe3, subw 0x0, time 13373847, (92,104), root: (919,635),
    state 0x5, keycode 56 (keysym 0x42, B), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 1 bytes: (02) ""

which is really weird compared to the usual sort of output from xev.
    Last edited by zsd; 04-30-2011 at 09:18 PM.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Have you tried another physical keyboard?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

zsd
    Just Joined!
    Yeah, I tried a USB keyboard and the same thing happens.
    I'm sure that says something about something
    Unfortunately, I don't know what.

Banned
    I had a similar issue pop up on my notebook running OpenSUSE 11.1 a couple of weeks ago, and i was lucky enough to get the keyboard working again.

My fix was crude, and chances are it will not work for your distro. What i did was to boot to runlevel 3 and deleted the xorg.conf file with rm -rf. After that was done, i ran X -configure :0 to force SUSE to generate a skeletal xorg.conf file, and than used SaX2 to recreate all the entries in file.

As it was, this method did not always work: it was only after 5 attempts that the keyboard suddenly decided to start working by itself again.

zsd
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Etna View Post
    I had a similar issue pop up on my notebook running OpenSUSE 11.1 a couple of weeks ago, and i was lucky enough to get the keyboard working again.

My fix was crude, and chances are it will not work for your distro. What i did was to boot to runlevel 3 and deleted the xorg.conf file with rm -rf. After that was done, i ran X -configure :0 to force SUSE to generate a skeletal xorg.conf file, and than used SaX2 to recreate all the entries in file.

As it was, this method did not always work: it was only after 5 attempts that the keyboard suddenly decided to start working by itself again.
    Thanks for your thoughts. I don't know what versions of things are used in OpenSUSE 11.1, but fo Slackware 13.37 xorg seems to be studiously ignoring keyboard entries in xorg.conf. As you say, with a different distro things might not work out.

Incidentally, did you know that you can get to run level 3 without rebooting? On Slackware, as root (or sudo) you can run "init 3", I assume you can do that under SUSE as well.

Cheers.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by zsd View Post
    Thanks for your thoughts. I don't know what versions of things are used in OpenSUSE 11.1, but fo Slackware 13.37 xorg seems to be studiously ignoring keyboard entries in xorg.conf. As you say, with a different distro things might not work out.

Incidentally, did you know that you can get to run level 3 without rebooting? On Slackware, as root (or sudo) you can run "init 3", I assume you can do that under SUSE as well.

Cheers.
    after some reading, it turns out that slackware has an 'xorgsetup' command preloaded into the distro that can be run under su -. if you are willing, you might want to generate a backup of your existing xorg.conf file, then rm-rf your existing xorg.conf file and use xorgsetup to generate another xorg.conf file. Hopefully that works.

And as it turns out, a little further reading into the topic seems to suggest that keyboards suddenly not being recognized after an update seems to be quite common for Slackware.

Last but not least, at the risk of feeding you with information that you already know, the Slackbook has 4 pages on how to use the distro's built-in tools to generate a working xorg.conf. They can be found here: slackbook.org/html/x-window-system.html

zsd
    Just Joined!
    Thanks again for your thoughts.

For better or worse, that slackbook hasn't been updated in 6 years or so, and the version of xorg mentioned there is long gone. The current xorg happily (in many/most cases) runs with no xorg.conf at all, and when i use one it studiously (and explicitly) ignores the keyboard section.

I haven't had the same luck as you finding reports of keyboards not working in Slackware (except for some USB keyboard issues) as you. I guess I need to hunt around a bit more.

Cheers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2