Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a Toshiba 1900 laptop which is only running Windows XP professional and has the following specs: http://www.toshiba.ca/web/specificat...t=321&part=413 I am trying to boot using a LiveCD. In particular I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unable to boot using LiveCDs on my Laptop

I have a Toshiba 1900 laptop which is only running Windows XP professional and has the following specs:

http://www.toshiba.ca/web/specificat...t=321&part=413

I am trying to boot using a LiveCD. In particular I have tried SystemRescueCD (www.sysresccd.org) and grml (www.grml.org).

I have verified that the images have burned successfully on the CDs by running them on another desktop machine with no problems.

The problem is that when booting on the laptop, SystemRescueCD hangs on the message "Probing SCSI..." and I have tried waiting 30min for this... nothing.

grml also hangs at a similar message... "Scanning for aic7xxx"

Any ideas?

there's probably an option you can pass to the kernel at the boot prompt. maybe try noscsi? look at the documentation and you'll probably find something like that

Just Joined!

Solves that particular problem...

Thanks for that tip Man. But now I am getting a whole bunch other problems with the boot... too many to list here so I am going to try some other LiveCDs and see how it goes.

I agree... "Damn it all to pus-spewing blood-gutted hell!"

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Heh, great family guy quote that is
    try Knoppix

Just Joined!
    Yep... Knoppix works just fine with 'noscsi' option... I see a lot of stuff crapping out at boot but in the end everything seems to function just fine...

and now if you will excuse me I have to go and do that 'qtParted' thing and mess up my system...