Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm looking forward to hosting a personal database server or simply a data recorder. I was thinking of having a laptop to perform this task, running linux. Any information on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Anyone hosting a database on your mobile linux?

I'm looking forward to hosting a personal database server or simply a data recorder.
    I was thinking of having a laptop to perform this task, running linux.

Any information on what laptop should I choose to what distro should I go for would be helpful.
    Let's first think about having all the h/w in 'Working' mode (such as full support for the Video, WLAN, etc). Then move toward the DB part.

Thanks for all your help, in advance.
    Last edited by sprath; 12-06-2010 at 02:04 AM.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I run MySQL, Oracle 11i, and PostgreSQL on my Dell laptop running Ubuntu 9.04 and 10.10. I do have 4GB of RAM and a 64-bit dual core 2.5GHz processor, so it is pretty snappy.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    As for the laptop, where are you located? Check out ZaReason, Inc. :: Laptops, Desktops, Servers, and Peripherals Designed for Ubuntu Linux - they sell only Linux systems (laptops, desktops, and servers), AND they ship international. They are located in Berkeley, California.

Just Joined!
    I am in India.
    Thanks for the information.
    I've been looking for some information, and it looks like most use Ubuntu.

Canonical has done a huge amount of work to make sure Ubuntu works well on today's laptops. Most hardware that you buy will work out-of-the-box. At worst, you may need to install proprietary wireless firmware, but they support that with a simple option in your system administration menu.