Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello Ive got an old laptop and alot of music that I want to place in too my car. I was planning on putting ubuntu on the laptop, setting it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Lightbulb Mp3 Player Carputer - Ubuntu on Laptop

Hello Ive got an old laptop and alot of music that I want to place in too my car.

I was planning on putting ubuntu on the laptop, setting it up so on a fast boot it would open directly to a Music playing program and I can play all my music on my car.

I have a large receiver in my hatchback about 6 inches wide, its got RCA inputs (yellow video, red white - left and right audio) to plug in any device. With a few adapters I would just set my laptop to go to VGA output then an RCA adapter for the video. Audio would be 3.5mm jack to left and right audio.

What would be a good mp3 playing program in linux that would work fine with this kind of setup?

And what kind of script would i need to run so it would auto play or start the program as soon as i power the laptop on?

Is it as simple as i explain it or am i missing something??

I would prob have a wireless bluetooth mouse or something to move on my car's screen.

Thanks for any feedback!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Me, I just bought a car stereo w/ USB port and can play mp3 files. I drop my mix on the thumb drive, plug it into the stereo, and there I am! That way I also have AM/FM and CD playing capabilities without any muss or fuss.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Linux Newbie
    This is very similar to my plans, once I have a vehicle decent enough to trust a computer (even one of my crappy old laptops) in.

One thing I also have planned is integrating a touch-screen. There are many hacks and adapters available for this; what I was looking at last my thoughts were on this project was a small VGA screen with serial or USB touch interface. With that, I figure an auto-login and setting virtually any media player to start upon login would work nicely (preferably one with big buttons; I'm thinking VLC with a custom skin). An added benefit to this idea (if you've got the time to spend on it) is expandability: GPS and other forms of entertainment are not far off once you get the basic machine integrated.

Of course, you should be careful of price. I doubt you're looking to spend a lot anyway, but if you're not careful you can easily overspend what it would cost to buy an external drive and an Android tablet, which could easily to these things, perhaps better.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Also, you ask how to auto-play, etc...

I highly suggest using a minimalistic WM for this project. I use OpenBox almost always, which has an autostart.sh script, and you can add anything to it (I usually include panels and utilities).

In addition, if you aren't planning on using a touchscreen, you may want to learn how to do custom key-mapping and look into hacking cheap USB keyboards. You could easily create something with a dozen or so keys and "hot-key" them to your needs.

And, of course, it's not a bad idea to do a good bit of reading on car audio or at least have an experienced friend around whilst diving in.

Just Joined!
    The only thing is, my stereo has GPS already and a USB port, the only thing is i dont want to have a usb cable sticking out the front of it. Also the max size it would read is like 32gb because of the Fat32 formatting the stereo can only read.

The stereo would only act as a monitor, so i could use it as a screen and with my phones tethering i could use it to get online and such.
    Might as well use the laptop itself since it has a bigger screen but then I just want o load my huge library of music onto it and play it in my nice car.
    Maybe run some other programs. At the same time i was thinking of beheading the laptop screen and and placing it somewhere in the car.
    Im just trying to cannibalize stuff i got laying around.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ryokimball View Post
    Also, you ask how to auto-play, etc...
    I use OpenBox almost always, which has an autostart.sh script, and you can add anything to it (I usually include panels and utilities).
    Thanks for that Ill look in to that tooo

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Well, 32GB is about 300-400 full albums in 192kbps mp3 format. Two or three of those, and you have a substantial music library. That fits in your pocket!

Just Joined!
    that is true ill prob invest in one :P

I keep my music on microSD cards, which I can put into my mp3 player or my phone. I usually use my phone, and connect to my stereo via bluetooth. To me, hooking up a laptop in a car is obsolete by at least a decade. Having a cable isn't the end of the world, and you don't need a cable to connect a USB drive or a card reader, they just plug into the port and have a little bit sticking out. You can get a microSD card reader that will only stick out of the USB port a half inch at most. But it's your car, and if you want to have all that stuff hanging out, and the hassle of booting the computer every time you get in the car, you're certainly free to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
    I keep my music on microSD cards, which I can put into my mp3 player or my phone. I usually use my phone, and connect to my stereo via bluetooth. To me, hooking up a laptop in a car is obsolete by at least a decade. Having a cable isn't the end of the world, and you don't need a cable to connect a USB drive or a card reader, they just plug into the port and have a little bit sticking out. You can get a microSD card reader that will only stick out of the USB port a half inch at most. But it's your car, and if you want to have all that stuff hanging out, and the hassle of booting the computer every time you get in the car, you're certainly free to do that.
    Ditto. Great things that. A 2gb card can hold a good 24 hours of continuous music, and costs about $5 USD. I switched to 8GB cards so I don't have to switch cards to change my mix.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast