Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi! I'm trying to help a friend who has a netbook on which we want to install Windows XP as the ISP does not support Linux. We don't have any ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Help removing Linux from a Netbook

Hi!

I'm trying to help a friend who has a netbook on which we want to install Windows XP as the ISP does not support Linux. We don't have any manuals or software but I found your forums via an Internet search. I also found a Microsoft article which tells me to use a bootable Linux disk. How can I get one? I don't even know which Linux version is installed! One response on the forums said to type su at the terminal then enter the password but the cursor does not move when I try to type the password and a message is displayed on the next line saying that the password entered is incorrect.

Can someone please help?

Thanks.

I think you'd be best getting an install disk for Windwos XP and plugging in an external CD drive. If you wanted to go the other way, i.e. dump Windwos XP and replace with a spanking new Linux Distribution, we're far better equipped to help.

If you don't mind me asking, what do you mean by 'the ISP does not support Linux.'? Surely the ISP provides a service using standard protocols, TCP/IP being the normal one, although others (e.g. DHCP) are also used. Linux supports these excellently (better than the commercial operating system you're about to try and use, in my opinion).

Is it just that the ISP wont give you telephone support? Last time an ISP asked me which OS I was trying to connect, I told 'em I was using OSX, which was enough to stop them asking me to use their cheesy Windwos tools to find out why their internet service was naff.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Hello and Welcome.
    As mention by Roxoff, Your ISP supports Linux, they just can't offer troubleshooting support is all that means. As for the password, Linux does not echo the keystokes for passwords, so if you just type the password and press enter, you get rewarded with a login.
    This is a Netbook right? Does it have CD/DVD drive?
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    hello again,

Thanks so much for the quick response. Yes, this is a netbook and I guess the password must be wrong. We're checking with the other computer user for the correct one.
    I did get an extgernal CD drive and tried several times to install XP from a genuine MS disk. When setup is complete, I get an error message that Windows have been closed down to prevent damage to the computer-followed by a long error number! Anyway, I tried to give you here the link to the article on Microsoft's website which I referred to in my previous message and which mentions a bootable Linux disk, but I just got a message that I have to make 15 posts before I can post URLS ot other sites.
    So how do I get a bootable Linux disk- not knowing which version I am running?
    My ISP is Verizon Wireless. I know it must be using TCP/IP but the techs told me that they only have Windows drivers for their VZAccess manager. No Linux whatsoever! Maybe they don't provide the support and are just taking this short cut with their response- but I can't get anywhere with them.
    Any other suggestions?

You can download any version (Distro) of Linux from this link, they are all free and any one of them will do the job. You'll need to burn the iso file to a disk or USB drive.
    DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.
    I'm wondering if there is a problem with the machine itself, you said you completed the setup of Windows and it boots but gives errors.........you shouldn't need a Linux disk at this point, you need to find out what the real problem is and why Windows won't boot after a fresh install.

EDIT: If I were you I would ignore your ISP and just do whatever you want. They probably don't even know what Linux is when you call tech support. IF you want to use Windows on the network or Linux it really shouldn't matter to them unless you need some kind of proprietary software like AOL uses. If it's just a regular old Internet connection, Linux will work with it.
    Last edited by MikeTbob; 01-08-2011 at 01:52 AM. Reason: See EDIT:
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.

Just Joined!

Unhappy Uninstalling Linux

Hello Again,

Thanks for the link to download Linux. I didn't understand what you mean by "burn the ISO file"
    Ubunto would not fit on a floppy or CD so I saved it to a DVD but couldn't boot from that either--although the computer can see the drive and read the files in it... All I need really is to get to the FDISK command per MS instructions for the removal. So, I'm back to square 1.

Is there no way for me to get rid of this stubborn OS?

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ins...ll-cd-dvd.html
    Follow those instructions for properly "Burning the ISO".