Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Well, when I tried to start the computer, I used the AC from my Toshiba. I considered the possibility that using the wrong AC might lead it to not power ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Well, when I tried to start the computer, I used the AC from my Toshiba. I considered the possibility that using the wrong AC might lead it to not power on, but since it fit, I thought it should work.

Here is the model -- Linux LC2464DC

Thanks

Here is a link to a site that has the model:

Linux 64-bit Laptop AMD Turion 64 X2 LC2464DC LinuxCertified Notebook

Just Joined!
    When pairing up ac adapters, you need to make sure that not only the adapter meets the power requirements of the laptop, but that it also matches the polarity; otherwise your laptop "may" not boot up. When my adapter went on me, it would not power up on any of my other adapters. Once I purchased the correct adapter, it worked fine.

From that link you provided, it says that your laptop's cpu is upgradeable. If I were you, I would definitely go the max with your cpu, since you already have to put one in.

Here are eBay's search results for the Mobile Turion 64X2 cpu.

You could probably purchase a new adapter from Linux Certified, but if you call and get a model # for the adapter, you could use that to search up a cheaper replacement on eBay...

Hope that helps!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Thanks! I will let you know what happens - I am in no great hurry though so it may be a while before I make significant progress.

Just Joined!
    I've read through the replies and thought I'd toss in my 2 cents worth. I've built and rebuilt a lot of desktops and been inside a handful of laptops, including swapping a cpu.
    If I were to give advice before you bought this I'd say don't do it. The only reason a laptop is sitting without "CPU, HD, or AC adapter" is because it's toast and the owner stripped out all the usable parts. If it were worthwhile fixing, say needing a new lamp or invertor for the screen, they would have done it. Someone who would take out the cpu is already technically advanced enough to know whether this was worth fixing, and judged it wasn't. You're likely to spend more on the cpu and ac adapter and whatever you've already spent than this is worth, and have no assurance it will work. A used working laptop or one with a dead hdd would cost less in the long run.
    One possible out: if you get a cpu and compatible psu, try it with an external monitor to eliminate screen problems, and if it won't power at all, look at the connection of the power plug to the motherboard. Wiggle it and see if you get a connection. It's common for surface mounted plugs to get broken solder traces where they mount to the board from strain on the connector, but it's often difficult to get at them to resolder.
    Good luck, but I would not hold my breath on this one.

Well, I thought I would update you all on the latest developments. I took a functioning 1993 Mac Powerbook laptop and stripped it. I removed the battery, screen, keyboard, mouse, speakers, floppy drive, and anything else that didn't look important. After that I plugged it back in and pressed the power button, and to my joy and surprise, the hard drive started making whirling noises. I am going to put the components from the Mac into the Linux and "upgrade" with the Linux parts wherever I can. My biggest problem right now is that the linux screen is much larger than the mac screen so the female part of the "plug" on the linux screen is a different size than the one on the mac motherboard. Any suggestions what I should do about this? I think I might try the Linux motherboard first and see if it works (which I do not have high hopes for). If the Linux motherboard is bad, it won't fry the entire computer when I try to turn it on, will it?
    Also, will the Linux screen even work with (old) mac components? I don't see why it wouldnt, but want to make sure.

Also I should note that I am learning a lot about computers doing this, which was my goal so I am happy. I am surprised by the Mac - it is supposedly made by apple and made in the USA, but it seems like all the components are foreign and not apple! The screen was made by sharp (in japan I believe) and alot of the internal components are made by Toshiba and made in Japan and Mexico! And they are all orignal too! Guess you can't tell a book by its cover. =)

Did not go well =(

Linux User

Just for future reference....

Just for future reference....

Laptops are not desktops and they are not designed by their manufacturers to be repaired, except for really the most basic problems like replacing certain parts. They are designed to be cheap and expendable with a life expectancy of only a few years.

Laptops are NOT built from parts like Lego blocks.

1. Don't try to put together parts from laptops from different manufacturers. For desktop computers, this is usually possible because like I said earlier, desktop parts are pretty standardized and can therefore easily be mixed and matched. But not always, for example, SCSI disks and SATA disks don't mix, even if their manufacturer and rotational speeds are identical, but this should be obvious from the connectors they use.

2. If the adapter from the display doesn't match the adapter on the motherboard, they will NOT work together. Even if the adapters are identical, you have to worry about electrical properties of the components. Mixing devices which are set to work at different clock frequencies or voltage levels will always fail, and can sometimes cause invisible but permanent damage to the parts if you plug them together then apply power.

3. Some devices, like displays for example, could possibly have their own firmware which are specifically programmed to work with only specific motherboards, so even if the electrical properties of the interconnects are spot-on and the connectors fit together nicely, the device may not work.

4. If the Mac laptop had a floppy drive, it is REALLY old! If your Toshiba is a 64-Bit Dual-Core Turion, it is at least 15 years newer than the Mac. (EDIT: I missed the part where you said it was from 1993. That makes it 18 years old! Holy crap!) NONE of the Mac parts will work with it. In 18 years of electronics technology, not only have the connectors changed, the voltage levels changed, clock frequencies changed, firmware changed, I think even the impedance matching characteristics of the interconnects have changed. I can promise you, no matter how you fit the parts together (even if they seem like they could fit together), they WILL NOT work together.

5. Disk drives take power from straight from the power supply, even a broken disk that is incorrectly attached to a motherboard (or not attached to the motherboard at all) will usually spin-up as soon as it has power, as long as it's microcontroller and mechanical parts are still functional.

6. Where parts are assembled is completely unimportant. The important thing about parts is their characteristics: do they use industry standards like SATA, PCIe, or USB, and do they plug-together and just work, or are there any hidden tricks (like configuring firmware, or setting clock frequencies with jumpers) that need to be done as well?

Also, Apple computers might be assembled in the USA, but most electronic components are made in Asia these days, even the parts that make up Macs. Most Macs use Toshiba disks for example, and might have motherboards built in Taiwan.

So one important lesson to learn from this is:

Before buying anything for a home-brew project, first ask someone if they think your idea is possible. Some will scoff at you, but some will explain the technical difficulties you will encounter. The really nice guys will approximate the cost of the project (hundreds of dollars, thousands of dollars, tens-of-thousands of dollars?) And people make mistakes, so don't take just one engineer's word for it, ask a many people questions. Its important to do research before actually going out and spending any money on parts and equipment.

It really is a marvel of modern science that something as complicated as a computer can appear to be so easy to understand, being made out of interchangeable parts with easy-to-use software and all that. Ordinary people don't realize just how complex these machines are because computers are engineered so that any non-expert can use them.

What you need to do now:

1. Put it back together exactly the way it was before you took it apart.
    2. Start researching the parts your laptop is made of and where you can get replacement parts (Google is your friend!)
    3. Get a CPU and plug it in, but be absolutely sure you get the correct CPU.
    4. Get memory and plug it in, make absolutely sure it is the correct memory.
    5. Tell us more about what you see and hear when you plug it in and press the power switch.

Even a laptop with absolutely nothing broken will go completely dead if has no CPU and no memory -- no response of any kind.

Once you have all the parts in place, if it still doesn't turn on, then you can start troubleshooting. If there is absolutely no response when you plug it in and hit the power button (disk doesn't spin-up, fan doesn't go, no lights turn on, no beeping), then it is likely a bad motherboard. If there is some response, but nothing on the screen, it is much more difficult to diagnose the problem. It could be any number of problems. It could be a bad display, of it could be a bad motherboard that is not completely broken.
    Last edited by ramin.honary; 02-18-2011 at 10:50 AM. Reason: I'm a perfectionist who thought my original post could be improved.

Thanks, fortunately I did not invest too much in this project - about$30 between the two computers. (I got the mac from thrift store). I guess I will probably put them back on eBay eventually (for parts) and hopefully break even. Since the Mac works, I will hopefully recoup my losses and maybe end up a little ahead. Thanks for all the help - this was a valuable learning experience at least. =)

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Well, you need to get power to it. Check the specs. You should be able to provide a DC power supply for a relatively small amount of $$. Probably less than $50 USD. In any case, if I had the system in hand, I could tell you more, but otherwise there are too many variables to resolve online like this. My best wishes and luck to you.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast