Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
any one here experimented with the sylvania wireless " device" ? a guy at my work that knows nothing about computers bought one, and is ready to throw it away, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

sylvania netbook ?

any one here experimented with the sylvania wireless " device" ? a guy at my work that knows nothing about computers bought one, and is ready to throw it away, it just won't connect wirelessly, with the " windoes ce" wat ever that is. I want to install a linux distro on it..maybe xubuntu, but not sure if it's possible. thanks

From what I found in a search on <Linux> - Google Search
    the reviewer thought that Ubuntu Netbook Remix was a good fit. Linux News: Distros: Sylvania Netbook With Ubuntu: A Good Mix

Sounds like a nice netbook system.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Linux Newbie
    cool, thanks, this is the netbook they sell for $ 80. i think a lot of people new to computers, ran out and bought it, thinking it was a computer and found out it's pretty limited. it has "facebook" and "youtube" icons on thebox, but you can only access youtube from the
    windos ce" client...and at 128 gigs. not very well. I htink Im going to trade him a real computer for this thing, IM curious how well it will work with windos gone.

I know this is a necro-thread but some advances have been made since this thread was started.

The Geodesic Sphere: Howto: Setup a Sylvania SYNET07 Netbook with Linux

CVS Netbook Revisited Your Warranty Is Void.com
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    I know this is a necro-thread but some advances have been made since this thread was started.
    Right... considering the speed at which technology is advancing these days, huge amounts of progress can be made in 2 years! In fact, it seems like all electronics are pretty much outdated within about 4 months.
    oz

oz
    forum.guy
    The red one in the first link looks nice, but I like the silver one in the second link better. That said, I have a full-sized laptop that I never use, so guess I won't be getting a netbook anytime soon.
    oz

oz
    forum.guy
    While on the subject of Sylvania, at one time they made some really good electronics, but I have no idea about their quality these days. I had one of their televisions once that I was beginning to think was going to last forever. Unfortunately, it seems like all the big name electronics companies farm the actual manufacturing of their products out to companies in China, and the quality can vary greatly.
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by oz View Post
    The red one in the first link looks nice, but I like the silver one in the second link better. That said, I have a full-sized laptop that I never use, so guess I won't be getting a netbook anytime soon.
    They seem pretty cheap and low spec Oz.

Ebay link

Disclaimer: I am not connected in any way to the above seller or site.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

oz
    forum.guy
    Yes, definitely good prices. I've just never been able to get into portable electronics and end up wasting my money every time I buy such things. I have a new laptop over a year old already that sits in it's case on a shelf, a new 7" tablet that I bought a couple of years back that went back into its box right away and is stored in the closet, a very expensive iPod that I've listened to maybe a total of 3 times (also stored in a closet), and an iPhone that I never take with me unless I'm traveling. There must be something wrong with me, and I don't know what it is, except that I truly do enjoy my moments away from such things...
    oz

oz
    forum.guy
    Just curious, roky... when you say cheap and low spec, do you mean it like they are of low quality and not worth the price, or did you mean it like they are a good deal? To me, they look like they are of low quality and probably not worth the price, but it still might be a good deal for that sort of thing if the distributors are able to get far more than they are worth due to high demand by consumers.
    oz

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast