Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi - I do a bunch of webscraping and occasionally download extremely large files from a server that I have to do the webscraping. Last night when downloading 2 gigs, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Acer Aspire One Linpus - Mouse Driver Broke after downloading 2GB File

Hi - I do a bunch of webscraping and occasionally download extremely large files from a server that I have to do the webscraping. Last night when downloading 2 gigs, my acer aspire one (bought in 2009, March, Linpus) froze. I forced shutdown, and when I restarted, I found that my mouse driver isn't working - the mouse is frozen in the middle of the screen.

How can I fix this? I can use everything else normally so can go in via a terminal and futz around with the back end. I am competent at following directions but don't know how to do this. I do have minimal programming experience in Python but this just means I can follow instructions when it comes to fixing drivers etc.

On a side note, this is the 3rd time in 2 years that my Acer has gotten messed up from a download. Is the software just more corruptible? I was thinking of sacrificing my values and ponying up the cash for a macbook air. I love how inexpensive the Linpus Acer was and it's a great computer except for its corruptiblility, but if I have to keep reformatting everything every 6 months it's a real pain in the butt.

If you can post your /var/log/Xorg.0.log it might help troubleshoot.

If possible, I would encourage you to install another version of linux. Linpus Lite is by all accounts pretty awful. You might check out jolicloud or Easy Peasy. If those end up being a little heavy for an older netbook, anything based around LXDE should run alright.

Just Joined!

Xorg.0.log file

What an enormous pain in the butt to tab through everything. ugh.

I'm including my Xorg.0.log file from /var/log. It's long.

Thanks for the advice on other distros

I'm anxious to get my mouse up and running again. I have a few things I want to do then I would probably try one of the distros you mentioned.

Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

Just Joined!

Unhappy

Any help? I'm still really stuck.

The only thing I can see in there that looks unusual around the mouse is this line
    Code:
    ProcXCloseDevice to close or not?
    I haven't been able to find any particular information on what this is. I'll look some more over the weekend, when I have more time.

Just Joined!
    Great, thank you.

Would any other file help? Xorg.conf? some other config file?