Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a dvd drive thing on my computer, and it used to play my dvds just fine. I didn't use it for quite some time, and just recently, when ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Acer 1604Z dvd drive problem

I have a dvd drive thing on my computer, and it used to play my dvds just fine. I didn't use it for quite some time, and just recently, when I tried to watch dvds again, it wouldn't let me for some reason. It doesn't even acknowledge I have a dvd inside. Are there some settings I need to mess with, or did my drive somehow break? If it broke, what's the best/easiest way to fix it? Did i need buy a new DVD drive,i google it found a website sale this model DVD drive with the price that i can afford notebook-laptop-accessories.com/Brand-New-Acer-Aspire-1640Z-CD-DVD-RW-Drive-Burner-p-61814.html . if i need buy a new DVD drive how about this DVD drive? Thanks in advance for any help

Hello and Welcome.
    Can you tell us which distro you are using?
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Dust. Get a CD/DVD cleaning disc and try that so see if perhaps dust is interfering with the read/write mechanism (which is laser-based, so dirt can cause problems).
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!