Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I'm looking for a super fast boot linux distro. My windows 7 takes 40 seconds from power on and 20 seconds from when I hit enter on the bootloader. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Fastest boot for linux distros?

I'm looking for a super fast boot linux distro.

My windows 7 takes 40 seconds from power on and 20 seconds from when I hit enter on the bootloader.

I tried xPUD which took 17 seconds from selection in the bootloader.
    I also tried Splashtop which took 24 seconds from bootloader selection.
    Slitaz took 19 seconds.
    DSL took 17 seconds as well.

Do you know of any linux distro or distro of any kind that will take under 10 seconds from bootloader?

All i need is web browser and a notepad like thing.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    A lot depends upon the hardware, what drivers need to be loaded, etc. I have an ARM board that I do embedded development on which boots Debian Etch in 1.2 seconds from an SD card - 4 seconds if I mount the root file system via NFS to a directory on my workstation over the network... My workstation takes longer (quite a bit longer) because is is starting a train-load of drivers such as VirtualBox, nVidia, more than a dozen hard drives and/or arrays, etc. I think the BIOS checking takes over 20 seconds because of the number of RAID devices it has to scan. Once in the bootloader, if I skip the 5 second delay for keyboard input, it probably takes (just a swag - haven't stopwatched it) about 30 seconds to load Scientific Linux (RHEL) 6. My Ubuntu laptop is a lot faster. Once past the BIOS splash screen, about 25-30 seconds for Ubuntu 10.10.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    FWIW, I think my Android phone takes over 20 seconds to boot cold! Some of the time you see is the actual physical hardware scan the OS does to determine what hardware is installed in the system, and the loading the appropriate device drivers for that hardware. My guess, the 17 seconds that DSL takes is about as good as it is going to get.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    aww that's so sad, but ive seen netbooks boot in around 10seconds and they have netbook specs!

Linux Newbie
    If you are a true speed daemon, there really is no substitute to a "hand-built" system. Only load the drivers and services you want, cutting megabytes of fluff out, and you can have any system booting in seconds.

Just Joined!
    see i want to do that but i don't know how

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by zijin_cheng View Post
    My windows 7 takes 40 seconds from power on and 20 seconds from when I hit enter on the bootloader.
    Is that to a point where you get a usable browser window (one that you can type in and fetches pages)??? or to just to login screen??
    In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?

Crux boots fairly fast ... add only the daemons you really need

Just Joined!
    How do I add daemons? I'm a super noob
    Last edited by zijin_cheng; 03-24-2011 at 02:08 PM.

Just Joined!
    actually, suddenly (I don't know what happened) but now xpud takes 12 seconds to start up from bootloader! I think I'm gonna be hard pressed to find one faster than this

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast