Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have looked all over google, checked fstab, and many other things, and it still wont work. when i tell it to Code: mount /cdrom it tells me: Code: mount: ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

CDROM won't load Disc

I have looked all over google, checked fstab, and many other things, and it still wont work. when i tell it to
    Code:
    mount /cdrom
    it tells me:
    Code:
    mount: can't find /cdrom in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab
    also, I've tried mounting from mount /dev/cdrom, but it comes up with:
    Code:
    mount: no medium found on /dev/sr0
    I havent made any changes to mtab, but ive copied and pasted fstab from some other threads i've seen with this problem, but nothing's working.
    Any suggestions?
    On an unrelated note, but if any info will help me get around this it will be appreciated, my objective is to load a Windows 7 Installation disc and install it onto a External Hard Drive, and boot it from there when the device is connected.
    I didnt know if the type of data on the disc was a crucial key in this or not, so i added that info, just in case.

Oh, yeah, i forgot. I'm running an Acer Aspire laptop, and thats why i posted it here, and ive noticed some of the same laptops have had this problem as well. If this isnt a good reason to keep it in the laptops section, feel free to move the thread.
    Last edited by blackmaild; 04-08-2011 at 04:43 AM. Reason: forgot to list why its in laptop section

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    /cdrom is the mount point. You need to determine which device id (/dev/hda, etc) is associated with the physical drive. Then you can issue the command (as root): mount /dev/hda /cdrom

At least for cases when the system hasn't auto-mounted the disc.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    /cdrom is the mount point. You need to determine which device id (/dev/hda, etc) is associated with the physical drive. Then you can issue the command (as root): mount /dev/hda /cdrom

At least for cases when the system hasn't auto-mounted the disc.
    This is what i got for that command:

Code:
    blackmaild@bLackmaiLd:~$ sudo mount /dev/hda /cdrom
    [sudo] password for blackmaild: 
    mount: special device /dev/hda does not exis
    Its a little different from the other messages i've gotten, but ineffective nonetheless.
    Also, when i open Disk Utility, it doesnt even sense my disc. Does that help any or it because it wont mount?