Find the answer to your Linux question:
On my laptop I have a dual boot of Windows XP Pro and Slackware 10. I recently upgraded the Linux kernel to 2.6.7. However, shortly after I did that the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Try to solve this mystery......

On my laptop I have a dual boot of Windows XP Pro and Slackware 10. I recently upgraded the Linux kernel to 2.6.7. However, shortly after I did that the sound went and some applications started to act weird. For instance I couldn't get XMMS to close without logging off and when I try to play sound files the playback doesn't start.

To test out a theory, I went into the 2.4.26 kernel and everything works perfectly. I should point out that this doesn't happen on the dual boot of the same OSs I have on my tower system. Figure that one out!

Linux Engineer
    did you disable the old ALSA drivers from 2.4.x when you upgraded to 2.6? this could be causing the problem, since ALSA is built-in starting with 2.5 and higher
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by lordnothing
    did you disable the old ALSA drivers from 2.4.x when you upgraded to 2.6? this could be causing the problem, since ALSA is built-in starting with 2.5 and higher
    Not intentionally. As I say the sound is fine in 2.4, but even with the sound turned right up using alsamixer it still wasn't there. Incidentally, I got the packages such as Alsa drivers and all the kernel bits from the /testing folder of CD2 of the Slack 10 distro.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    i meant that you need to disable the old alsa drivers and use the ones in the kernel...
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by lordnothing
    i meant that you need to disable the old alsa drivers and use the ones in the kernel...
    Oh, sorry - I understand now. I'll look into that and report back with the results.

I don't know if this helps but I am running slack 10 on my laptop too and when I recompile to 2.6 kernel Sound worked good for me but no matter anything I did like 15 compiles later I still couldn't get network to work but back to 2.4 and network works fine and sound. so I am staying with the 2.4 for now.
    Mike

wew
    Just Joined!
    This isn't an answer, but some thing weird i experience.
    Maybe point you in different direction.

My sound on my laptop works well with 2.4 and 2.6 kernels.

When I boot back into Windows XP, no sound!!!
    So, after I run linux, sound works, then boot into windows, I have to reinstall the drivers.

So, my sound card must have some sort of memory in buffers, or mother board, or something.

But anyways, all drivers work, but maybe a bug somewhere in those drivers.