Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I cannot remove this icon, nor access the internet. I assume this to be some form of malware? I have CCleaner and other malware tools on a usb stick, but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

star shaped icon has appeared on acer netbook desktop

I cannot remove this icon, nor access the internet. I assume this to be some form of malware? I have CCleaner and other malware tools on a usb stick, but when I insert it and navigate to the folder containing the software the programme icons are replaced by the same star symbol and I cannot access the software to run it. The OS is some variant of Linux, I don't know which though. Can anyone advise how to get to the Linux equivalent of safe mode, or better still, what this is and how to remove it? As you have probably gathered, I am new to Linux, so would appreciate any help that can be offered. Thanks in advance.

Sounds like the panel is screwed up. The Aspire One uses Linpus Lite by default, which in turn uses a modified XFCE dekstop environment.

This is a somewhat common problem if the configuration files get corrupted. I believe you can get to a terminal by hitting ALT+F2 to open a run window, then type"terminal" (no quotes).

From there, do
    Code:
    rm -r ~/.config/xfce*
    Restart or log out and back in and that should reset the desktop to the default settings.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the reply - I have tried to follow the advice, but I get a message saying '[user@localhost ~}$

When I reset and clear this info and try to type anything in to this window I am unable to save the modified text? Am I doing something wrong? Sorry to be ignorant, but I know nothing at all about Linux!

The model is an acer aspire one, model no. ZG5 if this helps.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I'm having a hard time visualizing what you mean by "unable to save the modified text".

This bit
    Code:
    '[user@localhost ~}$
    is just the prompt, so that's fine. You should just be able to type from there, or copy and paste the above command.

If you're able to get into your file manager, you can do it from there too. It should be CTRL+H to show hidden files, then locate the .config folder and xfce folders inside that.

Just Joined!
    Thank you. I've tried agian, and now get the message ' bash: rm-r~/.config/xfce*: no such file or directory

Any ideas?

Thanks.

If you reproduced the message here as it showed, it looks like you entered the command without spaces. It needs to be exactly as above.

Linux Newbie
    You dont need any sort of 'antivirus' 'antispyware' crap in any OS other than Windows.

The thing that you see is probably internal.

Quote Originally Posted by dE_logics View Post
    You dont need any sort of 'antivirus' 'antispyware' crap in any OS other than Windows.

The thing that you see is probably internal.
    Actually what the OP needs to hear instead of anti-Windows sniping is the fact that CCleaner and other antivirus emergency cleanups are Windows *.exe programs, which aren't going to work on a Linux-based system.

Now, I don't know what the star icon he's seeing is -- you know it could be the distro's logo, like Mandriva's star. He could be, in his confusion, trying to delete the K/gnome menu!

So, the machine doesn't access in the internet....do OTHER programs run?

Is there, in your system menu (what Windows calls "start menu"), a category labelled "Internet" and/or "Netwrok"? Is there a configuration tool or cotrol panel you can look at (I don't know that specific flavor of Linux sorry I can't be more specific...) -- Maybe you just need to reactivate your wireless card?

Does the netbook have an ethernet/CAT5 connection? If so, try a wired connection. If that wroks, we can try the wifi; if that doesn't work, then something more serious is awry.

Linux Newbie
    A screenshot will help.

@OP

Can you place a screen shot? just press the print screen button.

I've both seen it on my own systems with XFCE in the past and many people have posted regarding the same issue over the years. I'm 95% certain the star is the XFCE panel going wonky. (And I've seen posters lose internet with that problem as well.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast